• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite first ice story???

Snake River  King

Hey guys I was thinking back to when was my best first time on the ice and I was woundering what your guys best first ice time was?

It was about 3 yrs ago and it was right around December 1st, I had to work that day but not till later in the day, and the night before it got down cold enough to make about 3 inchs of ice and I decided to go back to the river and fish some back water, and I only fished for about 2 hrs and the jumbo pirch were hitting like crazy in about 4 feet of water and the northerns were hitting the tipups in about 6 feet of water, In 2hrs I ended up with about 25 jumbo pirch and 15 northerns. I just about called in that day! Not to bad for the first time on the ice. wink

well it was about five years ago the first time i ever went ice fishing we were catching fish all day and also eating beef sticks all day then them beef sticks got to me and i sad hey guys u want to step outside so i can take a dump as i was siting i look to the haole to the left of me and the bobber was down i set the hoke and up came about a 15 inch eye while i was on the potty it was great fell in love with ice fishin ever since lol

My wife and i married july 19 1998, I was hurt from work at the time and she was also busy with her work, so needless to say, no honeymoon. Feb of 2000 she called me and demanded that her friends got to have thier honeymoons and she still didnt have hers!! She then presented me with the reservations for our sleeper on LOW!!! Our honeymoon was 6 days in a sleeper and now I have a wife addicted to ice fishing!!!! Yea I win... What a gal!

many years ago - on the lake I grew up on we had first ice - about 4 inches and the ice froze perfectly clear with no snow -it was just like watching through clear glass. I was night fishing with tipups for walleyes. The lake happens to be crystal clear too. The walleyes were hitting that night and you could see about 10 to 12 feet down as they were coming up - it was pretty cool to watch the fish swim under the ice and over to the sides of the hole...and then up the hole - it was like walking on water.

I was about 12 years old and was just begging my dad to take me out. The ice was about four inches. The wind was blowing about 20 miles an hour and it was -5 degrees, this was a problem since we didn't have a decent icehouse at the time. Well I talked him into going and we grabbed a heavy tent with no bottom from where he worked. Well we got out there and popped some holes and got the tent set up. In the tent it was fine, but outside was cold. Anyway we had some tip-ups set up and my dad needed a minnow on one. I was running the bucket out to him and tripped. Every minnow that we had with us was quickly freezing to the ice. So we get our gloves off and start picking them up. We got enough to keep fishing and had to use an old ziplock bag to get some water out of one of the holes. Man where my hands cold! Anyway as it started getting dark the walleyes were going like crazy. In the middle of catching all of these walleyes, with several up to 6 or 7lbs, we hear a crack and drop about an inch or so. Man was that scary. Anyway we ended up catching about 30 walleyes and keeping about six of them. One of my favorite icefishing trips looking back on it.

Ahhhhhhhh the first time on the ice. Mine would have to be a few years back fishing on this very small metro pond after a night of freeze up. Im not a huge guy and the ic was around 2-3 inches in most spots, caught alot of small crappies and sunnys and tons of bass on tip ups, this was very close to thanksgiving(i think before) so I like to think I caught the ifrst fish throught the ice in the metro that year!

The last two years we've had a spot with a sheet of 3" glass over top. Hadn't received any snow at that point. It was way cool cos' the walleyes & perch were biting well! Nothing neater than seeing them fight right under your feet! Often times they'd almost be almost to the hole and take off this way & that way. Right before our eyes. Was a good oppurtunity cos' no one else had the guts to jump on the ice quite yet. Both times were prior to Thanksgiving. I'm not sure we'll have that oppurtunity this year???

My wife and i married july 19 1998, I was hurt from work at the time and she was also busy with her work, so needless to say, no honeymoon. Feb of 2000 she called me and demanded that her friends got to have thier honeymoons and she still didnt have hers!! She then presented me with the reservations for our sleeper on LOW!!! Our honeymoon was 6 days in a sleeper and now I have a wife addicted to ice fishing!!!! Yea I win... What a gal!

That wouldn't be bad but I know my wife would do better than me if she learned to fish!!!

Last year myself, my girlfriend, and my cousin were going to try some early ice. we ended up having a solid 4 inches of ice which was crystal clear. We pulled our house all over that lake trying to find some crappies or sunfish. Started shallow and fished weeds with no success. moved out deeper off of drops and points with no success. We spent a good 4 hours fishing without any bites at all. We probably tried ten different spots on the lake in different depths with different structure and just could not locate any fish. I decided to take the auger and search and finally after 5 hours of searching I found fish. I put the vexilar down there and the screen was solid from 5 feet off the bottom ten feet up from that. I have never seen my screen so thick with fish. I went and got my girlfriend and cousin and set up on the new spot. We all had out limit of nice 10 inch crappies in twenty minutes. I have never had crappies feed so agressivly. Hope the spot is hot this year again.