• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Does size count???

MinnesotaMuskie

I need advice. I built a NICE 8x12 house. It is very comfortable but heavy. I have the wheels, drop hitch all the goodies. The only problem is that it does not tow well and once I set it down...it ends up getting left. Last year Borch put my boys and I on some sunnies and crappies(Thanks)...but I ended up needing a wrecker to get off the lake frown.gif

I am thinking of selling and going to a 6x8. I could still have bunks and it has a spot for the 4-wheeler up front. I fish with my boys.

What are your thoughts...is it better to be portable or comfortable?

------------------
Practice CPR...Catch, Photo, Realease. Unless you pickle a small northern of course.

It's only my opinion but to me mobility is priority number one. I have a collapsible 4x8 that fits in the box of my truck. There is many times that I will hit multiple spots on a lake each day to find active fish, something that would be very difficult with a more permanent set-up. I also find my little house very comfortable, of course it's too small to bunk in but if it's my choice that is the only way I could go.

MinnesotaMuskie-

Tough Decision there. I think both types of houses have their value. I think I would choose portability first. I'll be fishing out of our newly built 7'x12' this winter but using it as a basecamp for the most part. If the fish are biting in the house, that'll be a bonus. Otherwise it'll be cruising around with the Otter trying to find something that'll bite.

I am really torn...I store my house at our cabin on Lake Amelia near Glenwood. I live near St. Cloud The kids and I, ages 7-17 only get a few trips a year...I would like to make the most of each trip...would be nice to get out earlier than late December as well??? I will keep wathcing the suggestions.

Anyone out there made a 6x8 into a decent sleeper...we do like to to stay out a couple times a year.

I could just have both???? Ya right.

"If Mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy."

------------------
Practice CPR...Catch, Photo, Realease. Unless you pickle a small northern of course.

How many boys do you have??

I could possibly see sleeping 4 in a 6'x8'. 2 bunk beds each side, approximately 30" wide and 6' long would leave you with a 3' area in the middle to have a heater and a door to get outside. Probably no holes open to fish out of at night, maybe 1. Would be a little cramped but I don't see why you couldn't do it.

If you plan on sleeping 3, I could see doing the bunk bed on one side and doing a upper bunk on the other and you could then have lots of floor space for a few holes, door, and heater (however you plan on heating the house).

Of course the bunks would fold up against the walls when you are not sleeping. I would imagine you could fish 6 holes during the day and a couple at night somewhat comfortably.

I think you could probably do it, just have to be a little creative on the design side of the fish house and a little tolerant of each other while using the house and it could work out great.

I fished out of smaller permanants for years and found I began to hate staring at walls and only catching a few fish.Sure I could move the shak and get set up another spot within an hours time,but it was a lot of work.Found I didn't move unless I was skunked a couple nights in a row.
I sold my shak and went with a sled and an Otter.I have been catching a LOT more fish since.I dress appropriately in good outdoor gear and stay pretty comfortable.I should mention I rarely even set up the Otter and just use it as a sled.I am on the move untill I find the most active fish.Fish the spot untill it slows and move on again.
I do wish I still had the permanant.It would be great to have a big comfy house to stay the night on my favorite lake,or just kick back sometimes and watch a bobber.
Maybee keeping the big shak and getting a couple portables for you and the boys might be an option.

mm,
I just got a 6.5 x 12 crank down . Weighed in at 1400 lbs. Tows well and can be moved with a four wheeler. The back opens up to transport the wheeler. We also will have it out on Amelia a few times this winter grin.gif

I was originally thinking 6.5 x 10 but the weight difference was minimal and everyone I talked to said bigger is better, but bigger can be heavier as you found out.

I have a friend that had a 6'x8' and we used to sleep three guys in it and moving it was as easy as it get's. Another benefit is you won't lose any sleep over it staying on the lake when you are gone. One more thing is that you can be on early ice if it is built light.Also they trailer easy on a sled bed of some sort.I bet you could probably get a good deal on one on this site.

I have a 7 X 14 on wheels. I can go from fishing one spot and move to another 2 miles away, and be set up fishing in about 20 minutes. I've had it for 4 years now so I got it down pretty good. I also use my trap voyager for trying spots fast. My suggestion would be not worry about the size, just get used to moving it and you'll get pretty fast. plus you're going to want as much room as you can get with four peolpe asleep in there. And have plenty of ventilation with that many people in there, with a heater going. good luck, Kid

TurkeyNateDog, I got a Dandy Hardwater coach.

A no frills interior spray foam insulation with Aluminum studs.
47b4d708b3127cceb7cdd18786a70000001610

47b4d708b3127cceb7cd0ce3c6350000001610
47b4d708b3127cceb7cd0ccc472a0000001610
47b4d708b3127cceb7cd0cebc63d0000003610

[This message has been edited by TV BOY (edited 09-29-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-29-2004).]

I'm with Dennis. Fishhouses like the Otter Lodge are so nice, I didn't put my permenant house on the lake last year! I've set them up in all sorts of terrible weather and never had a problem. Moving with the fish, or finding fish is incredibly easy.

This summer I adopted an 8x10 fishhouse that I will likely put on the lake. It's heavy, and I'm concerned about it, but I think I can make it work. smile.gif I want to be able to sleep on the ice this winter for the late night walleye bite.

I will still use the Otter for finding new spots if things die off, and for chasing crappies when the wallys don't cooperate.

Big Fish Hunter 247:
My Dads first house (aluminum) three years back was like the above house.. They make the open back gate type or anything you need to accomodate your ATV...
For the $$$$ it was a great house..He took it home and paneled it...
My older brother has it as the old man moved on to better things. (I'm hoping I'm the next recepient) LOL

Ole1885

I was with him when he picked it up.. They are located in Clearwater on (94) & Minn (24) on the NW side of the two roads.. You can see them from the north ramp off (94)to your NW or west bound over (94) on (24) you can see them over your right shoulder.

Ole:
I asked my Dad as I could not find a site
He said they didn't as far as he knew.. They go by Countryside Camper or close to it I guess.. The Fish Houses are called Dandy !!
They make trailers for ATV, Snowmobiles, Cargo Trailers and the fish houses...

Well...I made my decision. My big heavy house i heading to a permament home on Mille Lacs. Kind of bittersweet...I do not know how one can get attached to a fishouse...but I did.

We are working on a 6.5 x 10. The frame is very unique. You will actually lower the fishouse and the fram will stay hooked up. In front of the house will be a spot to take the wheeler with. Permanant ramps that fold up.

The framing is inique in the sense that you use 3/4 ply, 22 tubes of liquid nails, and lots of staples.

The first prottype was pulled down the road this last weekend. Towed wxtremely well with the wheeler loaded and speeds of 65 mph...even on 23 south of St. Cloud.

The weight without the wheeler will be 830 lbs. I will post pictures in a couple weeks when it is done.

------------------

Sorry about the delayed response, I was trying to find a few ducks.

I got my house at countryside campers in Clearwater as mentioned by taho. They have a web page thats not as informative as some. Do a search with "countryside campers" and look down and you should find it.

MN Muskie, did you have a house out on Amelia in the past and if so any problems getting on or off due to snow?

TV,

Yes I have a house on the lake for about 2 weeks and then travel some. I had a couple bad experiences trying to get off the access.

Not sure why...but that area seemed to rot and fail.

Not an expert but...

Are you going to hit Amelia this year?

I will have my new house out there...

I went with a 6.5 X 10 with a spot for the wheeler up front. Should be sweet.