• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

8 by 8 fishhouse

riverrat56

Does anyone have any plans for an 8 by 8 fishhouse? me and 2 friends want to build one. We want to build it on skids ( not the best option i know but we are poor highschool kids) We are thinking of making it with 6 holes and 3 fold down bunks or something of that nature. if anyone does have plans just say something and ill give you my email and you can send them to me.

thanks in advance
RR56

Sorry I don't have any plans for you but just a sugestion. If you are going to go through all the trouble of building a house I would at least start with a good base. A couple of 2x6's for runners and some 2x4's for floor joist with plywood over it isn't going to cost that much. Go cheap with stuff above the floor you can replace that later and still have the quality base. There is a thead on page 2 by Bob D "my sled and shanty" that has some good pictures that may help you get started.

Hope this helps. ARBuck

Just FYI on my shanty....I'm upgrading my skids to 4"x6" PT this year. The 2"x6" worked fine on the ice, but on land they tend to dig in unless the ground is frozen. I'll be adding the new skids to give a little more surface area so it displaces the weight better on soft ground.

The floor plan you want sounds like the biggest challenge. If you figure each person needs a 4'x2' (minimum) area to sit and fish 1 hole. If you want a sleeper I'd stick with a vented propane stove which needs a 4'x4' (minimum) area. You will need plenty of windows/vents for fresh air when you use propane. You really can't stack beds 3 high without frying the top person and freezing the bottom. I'd start by drawing a scale floor plan and figure out how you want it laid out. (8'x8' shacks can seem crowded with 2 people.)

Here is a nice shack:
http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/004654.html

[This message has been edited by bwtrout (edited 09-30-2004).]

thanks for all the help guys. we have decided that 8 by 8 is to small and we are going to go 8 by 12 we still want to do it on skids but im thinking that it will be to heavy to get up even with the ramp and winch but maybe im wrong. we are going to go with 4 bunks the bottom 2 will be used as benchs during the day and at night we will draw straws for the top one. but anyways my next question is what kind of heater should we get and what can we expect to pay for the heater/ hosing ( we have 3 20 lb tanks, how long will these last if we just run the heater off them?)

thanks
RR56

Riverrat56:

The old buddy building system huh !! Sounds familiar as me and two others did the same when I was nineteen...
We went shopping in late October for "storage shed" "yard sheds" whatever...
We ended up at a local lumber yard (UBC) who made them from kits they sold at just about every size thinkable. For a extra $100 they used the shed plans but replaced the all framing with 2 X 2 studs instead to lighten up the load. They also cut it up for the $100 and assembly is in the price anyway.
We had a 8 X 12 in 1999 dropped in my driveway all assembled and 2 X 2 construction other than the floor/base was standard. We insulated and paneled and put two 4 x 10 x 14 skids on it for a total cost of $1,000...

Its a hassle free idea and they sell them cheap in a month or so. Your "heater" question is definately a "VENTED" furnace application with all the sleeping and it will put a $500 hole in your budget easily !!