• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who is the Strongest Fish??

wildcatcreek

Me and a buddy were having a conversation the other day about our experiences catching large, strong fighting fish. After realizing how different our stories were, I started asking other people their experiences. Turns out that it's pretty interesting hearing all the different views. Therefore, I ask you what your experience is. What is the strongest fighting freshwater fish out there? Looking forward to hearing some good ones.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panfish. Their body shape gives them an edge that other fish like predators can't match. They may not be fast in a sprint but they have power. Imagine a 20# crappie!!!

Let me at 'em!

Bob

I've never caught one put I'm guessing it's a sturgeon. Just watching them jump for no reason you can tell they are an extremely powerful fish.

Over a short burst though nothing is stronger pound for pound than a northern though. They are the fastest freshwater fish, and physics will tell you that on their runs nothing is generating more force for it's weight. It doesn't have the best overall fight though. It's a shame most pike in MN are kept when they are still children so to speak.

Shape is a natural resistance, it isn't a generated power. If you just didn't reel and let the fish pull shape would have no effect on the force generated.

Plus you can use the shape against a panfish. They skip across the water with almost no resistance....

First of all, I've never had a brook trout (up to 12 inches) give me much of a fight, even on a 3 weight or an UL spinning rod

2nd, almost all northerns I catch just give a huge head shake, then you reel em in. Then when you're about to grab them and they take off like a torpedo. Not a real consistent fighter, and I've caught plenty of big pike, even on UL tackle

I gotta give it to bluegills. Pound for pound they are the most feisty, hard fighters out there. I've had guys call for the net with a 10 inch bluegill on medium spinning tackle before.

Sturgeon would come in 2nd in my opinion

I give my vote to the mighty carp, especially if they have a little current to use. I always like hooking a buddy up on their 1st one, they are always extremely suprised that it can take 5-10 minutes to reel in a 5 lb fish and are usually begging me to take them out again as soon as we're done.

Pound for pound sunnies rule!Could you even imagine a 5 lb sunny.Then kings,then river smallies then the mighty red horse.The cats do well also.Dogs are also quite spunky.Ocean gotta go with halibut and flounder.I will let you know after feb how the tarpon do!

I think we could categorize this debate.

In the pound for pound category, sunfish dominate that class.

This summer I caught a 16oz bluegill that pulled HARDER than the 3 pound LM bass we were catching.

Also, those 3 pound LM bass were pulling a lot harder that the 3 pound hammerhandles we were catching.

Pound for pound sunnies rule!Could you even imagine a 5 lb sunny.Then kings,then river smallies then the mighty red horse.The cats do well also.Dogs are also quite spunky.Ocean gotta go with halibut and flounder.I will let you know after feb how the tarpon do!

lol

I think a five pound sunny would pull a person right out of the boat.