• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gun and Bow with you in a tree?

Just had a question between some co workers - what if you have an unused bow tag which you can take either a doe or buck with, and have a gun tag that only allows for taking a buck in our zone - can you have both weapons with you in a tree? Basically, if you want to shoot the first deer that presents a shot, can you legally take both weapons with you and shoot a doe with the bow, but yet have the shotgun in case a buck comes in first but doesn't come into bow range? That would be the only deer you could harvest in our zone so you would be done, but then you have both options since without the lottery doe permit for gun season you have to hold out for a buck. It's just a debate, is this legal?

Because you can't be in possession of a firearm while bowhunting for deer....

That is it in a nutshell. You can not be in possession of a firearm while hunting deer or small game with archery equipment. It is ok for bear (the hole a bear could eat you argument) but not for deer.

It is clearly writen in the Regs. book. A carry permit holder can not even have his gun with him while bowhunting.

Bottom line and end of argument ITS THE LAW!!!

Originally Posted By: BobT
Because you can't be in possession of a firearm while bowhunting for deer....

That is it in a nutshell. You can not be in possession of a firearm while hunting deer or small game with archery equipment. It is ok for bear (the hole a bear could eat you argument) but not for deer.

It is clearly writen in the Regs. book. A carry permit holder can not even have his gun with him while bowhunting.

Bottom line and end of argument ITS THE LAW!!!

Well alright then. Neither of us have a reg book with us at work and didn't want to wade through them online.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say something different. If you have both archery and firearms tags and you have the bonus tags, I seen no problem with it. As long as it is in firearms season. You cannot tag a deer with both primary tags, so if you had a buck with your gun and then used your bow to shoot a doe and tagged her with your archery main tag. I think the whole gun with a bow limitation is in the archery season only. You can ask "Lcornice" about that he would know for sure.

This is from page 92 in the handbook.

A person may not take deer by archery while in possession of a

firearm.

It would seem to be quite clear.

Bob

I have both tags and i plan to leave my bow at the house and if i tag out with the gun, take the gun home and grab the bow, thats legal but no way can you have both with you, not even in a truck together during season is it legal.

Well I am going to disagree with mrklean on this one cause you can have any gun, bow, crossbow, muzzle loader in the vehicle at any time as long as they are legally set up for transport. (case, unstrung, ect.) That is stright from the CO's mouth. I asked this question about four or five years ago.

Froggy

...but no way can you have both with you, not even in a truck together during season is it legal.

Not sure about that part. I may or may not carry... and always or never have a firearm in the vehical. The only hang up I can see as a possibility is if you are transporting a bow killed deer while in possesion of a firearm. Think that part may need further investigation.