• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I never thought....

slabchaser

I never thought Id be 2 days before deer season and in the middle of duck season and be thinking about ice fishing. I just started to get into ice fishing the last two years so im still pretty new. I had a couple of questions for everyone smarter than I.

1) I need a power auger. I stopped ice fishing last year when I was hand drilling through 20+ inches of ice. And it limited how much I could move in a day. My price range is up to about 400. Anyone recommend a good one in that price range or am I going to have to throw down even more money.

2) I have seen some guys with lights rigged up in their portable. Can they be wired to an extra vex battery and which lights work best.

Check out the older thread "who makes the brightest L.E.D. lights" Everyone pretty much agrees on one certain light. And yes, it can run of your vex battery. But it's best to get a second battery, hate to have your vex run out of juice.

I never thought Id be 2 days before deer season and in the middle of duck season and be thinking about ice fishing.

slab - it gets worse as you get into it more. wink

I was in ND pheasant hunting for 4 days last week.

I dreamed about early ice walleyes 2 of the 3 nights I was out there.

At least I didn't have my deer hunting dreams in August this year.

Ozzie, I couldn't agree more. I've been a fan of the Lazer Mag ever since I bought my first about 5 years ago.

You will run into much conflicting advice, on this site, and from friends. The thing to remember is to tailor your auger to the way you fish. IMO, the shaver system is for a runner/gunner, a person who doesn't re-drill the same holes in a permanent time after time. The shaver augers on the market are typically much lighter, thus allowing you to actually WANT to drill more holes. The chipper augers then are a bit more durable by en-large, yet often you pay the price in weight. Re-opening holes isn't bad with a chipper style auger, and a file is all that's needed to easily resharpen the blades.

No matter which style you choose, the Strikemaster lazer mag on the shaver side and Mag 2000 on the chipper have been reliable as can be. Being a MN company, centrally located in the state, any repairs if needed are quick and easy, and I'll guarantee you'll be rewarded for making the trip smile. This also means that replacement blades and parts are much more locally and readily available.....whether you bend up a blade on Lake of the Woods, or drill into sand on a small shallow puddle in SW MN; you can bet they'll be able to fix you up anywhere.

Like I said, I personally own a 5 yr. old Lazer Mag. I take care of it, summerize it, and feed it top grade non-ox gas with amsoil. 2nd pull in 40 below two winters ago on Red, and hundreds of other sub-zero starts. Chipper or shaver system, all is for naught if you don't have a reliable powerhead.

Joel

Correct me if im wrong but arnt you not supposed to reopen holes with chipper style augers? I thought you could with lazers but not chippers?? On another note, I own a 4 blade lazer and love it! They cut through the ice like hot butter but the blades go faster than on a chipper. I would look into the niles though have not heard a bad thing about them yet

Good luck on your search