• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Awesome encounter tonight

Well I finally made it back up north to my hunting grounds by Frazee. Last I was here was Oct 5th. Got in my stand at 2:00. Actually nice compared to the forecast. Saw 3 deer at 150 yards at 4:45 but couldn't make out what they were exactly. Then had a fawn by herself right under me at 5:00. All was quiet and too dark to shoot, so I climbed down and with one foot on the bottom rung I hear a noise behind me. I turned my head in slow motion and I could just make out a dark object coming right at me at 15 yds. I'm standing there frozen still and he gets to 5 yds and I see horns. Just as I'm about to take two steps back up the tree, he dips behind another tree and stops. I can just make out the white on his muzzle. Then he takes two more steps and he's less than 8 feet from me. Nice eight pt. that I saw on the opener. AND he's directly down wind. I can hear him breathing. My left foot shifted on the ground as I never really did get it planted right, and made a slight noise. He got a little nervous but never showed his tail. Just walked off right to my doe-in-heat wick and stood there for about a minute, then continued on his way.

Just try to tell me that my scent containment clothes and scent elimination spray doesn't work or is not worth the money. This mature buck was within 8 feet and downwind. Awesome. Can't wait for tomorrow.

sounds like exactly what happend to me a few nights ago, but i wasnt so lucky that buck took off running on me. i had sent killer on but i had made some noise as i was taking my stand down, thats what spoked him i think

And it sounds like I'll need it. Just caught the Fargo weather...rainy and VERY windy tomorrow. 24 feet up in a large poplar might be a call for for some dramamine(sp?). Might get grounded. Then they're talkin 1-2" snow thru Friday, east of Moorhead. More to the west.