• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will they ever consider....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since everyone is throwing their opinions out there, here's mine.

Ducks follow the water and food. The amount of water has exploded in the Dakotas and diminished in MN. In MN we now have ponds with houses around them or well tiled farm land. The ducks have changed their migration patterns. Not all of them of course, but a majority. Also look at how fast a field in sc MN gets turned over compare to SD. Picked one day, plowed the next.

Our season is usually good for geese early, good ducks on opener. Bad for 2-3 weeks, then the Cans and Bills start to come through. We still have the Big water in northern MN to thank for that. But as far as Mallards go, we need a steady dose of WEST winds to shift some of those Dakota birds this way or we miss out. If you guys were out this weekend you saw proof of that. N-NW winds = bills all over, but limited mallard migration. Friends have been out west pounding mallards for 3 weeks. It's a weather game now a days for us in southern MN. Right during the freeze up in the Dakotas, we need strong west winds and we'll shoot a lot of mallards. Otherwise we'll see some big flocks late in the year, but not the big push we all freeze our butts off to see!

I also tend to disagree about the number of hunters. It may be because of loss of habitat, but the area I hunt is loaded with hunters. Compared to the 90's when I could shoot 3 birds, we have nearly double the hunters. That's why I think they keep the limit at 6....fool us into thinking there are a lot of birds and keep hunters buying!