• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Highschool State Tournament-08

riverrat56

Who's got a hometown team or former team playing in the state tournament this weekend?

New Ulm Cathedral is back in the State Tournament and will play Springfeild in a Week 2 rematch. This is there 3rd trip to the State Tournament in the last 6 years, (03 and 06). I played in those 2 and now scout for the team, but being as it would mean heading to the Fargo Dome to scout next weeks possible opponent I will be in the stands at this one.

Anyone else going to be taking in some great highschool football action this weekend?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be missing football over the weekend, HS, collegiate, and professional with deer hunting in play.

As far as HS, three teams return to defend their 2007 titles: Caledonia in Class AA, Glencoe-Silver Lake in Class AAA, and Eden Prairie in Class AAAAA. Always fun to see how a title defense goes. Also nice to see some teams come back and some schools make their first ever appearance.

Does anybody know if the HS tournament will always be at the dome or if they plan to move it outdoors to the Gophers Stadium? I'm guessing it'll stay in the dome. It's pretty special for MN kids to be playing in the dome, even if the other FB players at the collegiate and professional level don't like it.

I think GSL is going to beat LSH on Friday. Problem with LSH is the players have to play both sides of the ball. Contrary to the GSL players who are either defense or offense, not both.

Give it a couple years and LSH will have the team in place to oust GSL finally.

Aside from atttending the game at Eden Prairie (LSH vs. GSL), I will be heading to St Cloud State to watch the Vermilion Ironmen take on the Mesabi Range Norsemen at Husky Stadium on Sunday for the State Championship.

The Ironmen have been a hard hitting team in the second half of each game. They had a blowout against Fon Du Lac (Cloquet)76-21 and beat Central Lakes College (Brainerd) last Saturday in the final seconds of the game.

Proud to say my son was the one who kicked the extra point to put the Ironmen ontop of CLC 27-26 to win the first game of the play-offs.

If the LSH boys can play some defense like they did against BP last week, the game could be interesting. Especially if we get some snow.

Even though I'm a fan of LSH, I hate to admit I still think GSL will prove to be the better team.

West is in also. Playing St. Thomas at Lakeville North Sat. night. Taking the kids to the game after my oldest ones hockey game in Prior Lake. Nice little excuse to get to the game. Should be a high scoring affair but I guess that depends on the weather a little also. Good Luck to West!!

If the LSH boys can play some defense like they did against BP last week, the game could be interesting. Especially if we get some snow.

Even though I'm a fan of LSH, I hate to admit I still think GSL will prove to be the better team.

Sorry bud, but its not going to be a close game at the end!

How about 9 Man?

Cheering for former high school Kittson Central (was Hallock) ((who ended Stephan/Argyle's 78 game winning streak)) over Northland in Fargo and now local school Littlefork/Big Falls over Ada/Borup in Duluth.

Maybe those 2 can meet at State!!

LIS

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM

Sorry bud, but its not going to be a close game at the end!

Never said it was going to be close.

Lep, did you go to the LSH vs. BP game on Halloween? had to miss it because of Halloween and having an 8 year old. Belle Plaine seems to have LS's number this year. Would have been exciting for BP to win but I know that LSH has a better team and BP would not have a chance in heck of winning another game.

Good luck against GSL, I would like to see you guys knock them off once.

Thats why they play the game, GSL could come out and play a terrible first half and LSH could get out in front and build some momentum....Not saying it will happen but it could.

My senior year ('06 season) we were huge underdogs when we went down to Goodhue to play them in the first round of state, everyone said it wouldn't even be close, we would lose by 30 and keeping it under that would be an accomplishment. Jumped out to a 19-7 lead in the second quarter and held on to win in the second half. Thats why they play the game.

Bigeye, as far as LeCenter/NUC go, what a great rivalry this has become in the past 4 or 5 years, 4 playoff games since '04, decided by a total of 8 points. LeCenter was/is a very good team and deserved to win that game just as much as Cathedral did.

Big Dave,

I was there. I was kind of a bittersweet victory for me. Not because BP beat us in the regualr season, but because we won because we kicked a field goal.

My son was the kicker the past 2 years and there was never an emphasis on a kicking game. That changed this year as LSH has been kicking the extra points instead of going for 2.

Also because my son has been kicking for Vermilion and proving the talent was there (he's ranked 17th nationally). On a side note, Garcia who kicked for BP last year is ranked 13th.

i play for anoka, and from what ive heard from teammates it sounds like the state playoff games will be at the University stadium next year. not positive tho....Blaine is a great team this year but i havent a clue how they'll do against eden praire

I wouldn't be too quick to judge the success of the GSL program based on tonight's game considering LSH couldn't get out of their own way.

The GSL program is a far better coached team than LSH. For Turek to continue losing year after year to GSL has to be an embarrassment. But a person would think he would finally figure out how to defend against the GSL offense.

If GSL sees De LaSalle in the final, it will be a close contest.