• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slammer Tip-ups

Blaine

Trying to get a jump on the shopping season for more ice fishing toys.

Has anyone used, or heard of the Slammer tip-ups? Wondering if they are worthwhile.

I also heard about Heritage Laker tip-ups, any thoughts on these as well?

[This message has been edited by MT Net (edited 09-23-2004).]

I have 30 heritage laker tip-ups and I love them. Great in deep snow, ZERO false/wind flags, and they are very well built. The down side is they are large and heavy compaired to say a Polar style. I've heard mixed reviews on them with the plastic spools. Mine are all metal spools, so I can't comment on how the new spools are working.

We are allowed 15 lines each on Lake Champlain...The wife plus me = 30. I also take a lot of people out fishing that don't have gear of thier own. I don't normally set all my tip-ups, but if it's a really slow day or I'm looking for new hot spots, it's nice to have the extras.

Thanks for pointing that out Uncle Grump. A person wouldn't know that from reading the reg booklet. I was intrigued by your post so I did a little research, here's the actual statute:

97C.325 Prohibited methods of taking fish.
(a) Except as specifically authorized, a person may not take fish with:
(1) explosives, chemicals, drugs, poisons, lime, medicated bait, fish berries, or other similar substances;
(2) substances or devices that kill, stun, or affect the nervous system of fish;
(3) nets, traps, trot lines, or snares; or
(4) spring devices that impale, hook, or capture fish.
(B) If a person possesses a substance or device listed in paragraph (a) on waters, shores, or islands, it is presumptive evidence that the person is in violation of this section.
© The commissioner may, by rule, allow the use of a nonmotorized device with a recoil mechanism to take fish through the ice.

It appears that the commish could change the rule to allow them if he so desired.

Are downriggers legal to use in Minnesota with the line taught to the release and rod cranked over?? If so, then Slammer Tip-Ups should also be legal to use since there's no mechanical hookset - just a cranked over rod held by a release mechanism (just like a downrigger).

I hope to hear back from the Minnesota DNR about this subject soon.