• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How far to lead a deer running with a 12 guage? 3 scenarios

The only running deer I have consulted my group of hunters to even think about shooting at, is a deer thats visibly injured.

If its not injured/(wounded), and its running, you dont shoot at it. PERIOD!

I will NOT allow anyone on our property to lob lead at a running deer, only to lose it. Very few deer are going to get hit vitally while running. I dont want to hear about the "experts" that have shot many running deer. I gaurantee you the "experts" have lost many a deer in a running situation.

Isnt deer hunting about ethical, quick killing shots? Where did lobbing lead at a moving target become something that people think is even remotely ethical?

I hate it every time I hear about these questions and/or stories.

Biglake,

I will have to diagree with you and that is ok. But we shoot about 1/3 to 1/2 of our deer running and I have to say I bet that a lot of slug hunters have done the same. When it was only a two or four day season down here you got deer anyway that you could. This is my first year not slug hunting and I will probally never go back to it unless the DNR changes the regs again. I have hunted 19 years and we have shot alot of running deer. In that time we have only ever lost one deer. We did what we could but yes we did loose it and yes that was at a running deer. But in the same token when I was 15 we tracked a buck 6 miles through the swamp and some corn fields that had a shot off front leg by a neighbor and got it. That deer was standing still at 60 yards. My point is, is that every one has to know there limits. No I do not want a 13 year old that have never shot a deer out there just shooting off lead. But a person with experience. Yeah I have no problem with it. I agree with RiverRat. I is about the same concept as shooting ducks and geese. If at all possible I try to get a deer to stop, But I know that if a good shot presents it self and it is a safe shot I will take it.

Thanks,

Froggy

The only running deer I have consulted my group of hunters to even think about shooting at, is a deer thats visibly injured.

If its not injured/(wounded), and its running, you dont shoot at it. PERIOD!

I will NOT allow anyone on our property to lob lead at a running deer, only to lose it. Very few deer are going to get hit vitally while running. I dont want to hear about the "experts" that have shot many running deer. I gaurantee you the "experts" have lost many a deer in a running situation.

Isnt deer hunting about ethical, quick killing shots? Where did lobbing lead at a moving target become something that people think is even remotely ethical?

I hate it every time I hear about these questions and/or stories.

Amen BLB! Gotta love it when during gun season you hear off in the distance a "hunter's" first shot closely followed by the second and then the third and quickly the 4th, 5th, 6th and possibly even more, all from the same "hunter". All I picture during the time I listen to this episode is one of the "experts" at shooting running deer up in their stand filling the air with lead. Only problem is they are one of those "hunters" that the only time they pick up a gun of any kind during the year is to go deer hunting or the only time they shoot that gun is right before deer season so they are not comfortable with it at all. I have some family members that are in this group. I try and lay it out to them like this(with limited success on persuasion)...every year their group(and many, many other groups I speak to) say that they lost a couple deer due to bad hits, so I ask to explain the shot. In a high majority of cases, shooting at running deer is the common thread! Heck, even the ones they do get have been shot in the head, legs blown off, hind quater shot to heck...you get the picture! I do still gun hunt so that I can spend time with some friends and take my wife out, but that is the type of situation that makes me not even want to be affiliated with it! Nothing makes a "hunter" feel better than walking up on his deer afer shooting at it 7 times to find out he hit 3 times, none of which were near the vitals...but hey at least they got one!! Have a little respect for the animal and take a little pride in being ethical about what you are actually doing! To some people's dismay, there's way more to being an actual "hunter" than pulling the trigger!

Have a great deer hunt and more importantly, be safe!

Quote:
Only problem is they are one of those "hunters" that the only time they pick up a gun of any kind during the year is to go deer hunting or the only time they shoot that gun is right before deer season so they are not comfortable with it at all.

Thats a crappy blanket statement. I can handle my gun better with my eyes closed than half of the people I know can with them open. I am a good shot with open sights on my shotgun and a rifled barrel, I am able to shoot and KILL a running deer, I have been doing it for 15 years. I shoot trap, fowl, and bow hunt. I know what is an ethical shot, lobbing slugs at a deer going full tilt at 100+ yards, yeah, thats crappy, taking a shot at a deer going across a plowed field or alfalfa at 75, not a problem for me. I agree, there are a lot of hunters that do dust off the gun and walk out hoping to get one, that is not me, and there probably aren't many people on this site that do that either. Don't lump everyone in that category, thats a blanket assumption and is FALSE for a lot of people.

I agree if its running full boar across a field not to shoot. Froggy do you know if you have hit a deer without even knowing and lost it? I just yell at them or something and usually they stop for a brief second where you can give them a great shot standing still.

I didnt say you have to practice every situation did I? I said practice. Sounds like you do and are capable of it. Great. But a guy posting a question of where to shoot at running deer 3 days before the season obviously hasnt practiced and IMHO has no place taking that shot. My opinion however, will surely have no effect on him. Maybe however, someone reading this will think twice and practice over the summer. Anyway, he was looking for my opinion and he got it.

BLB good post, I agree that many people fall into this group. Our group has pretty much stopped shooting at running deer. In fact, we have changed how we hunt. We used to drive a nice chunk of woods, but because it was alway shooting at running deer, now we just have one guy walk really slowly through the woods. The deer stay about 200 yards ahead and are walking. much better overall success.

Most of you guys bashing on shooting at running deer saying you will shoot at people and you dont know your surrondings well apparently you havent set up many "drives" for deer becasue if your going to be shooting at running deer or atleast for us this is all a thought up process. you set people in areas where you know or think the deer are going to come out and give you the best possible shot and you KNOW where everyone is set up at. secondly how can you guys say shooting at a runing deer is unethical? i sure hope none of you shoot ducks, geese, pheasants casue they are a animal just like deer but they sure arent standing still are they?? there is no possible way you can practice for every possible seniro besides practiceing and getting a feel for it. Me and my dad muzzleloaded from the time i was 12 and yes i shot my first 3 deer on the run one shot did we lose them NO. my dad has shot lots of deer on the run and to be honest i dont think he has ever lost one either. you have a chance at making a poor shot on a deer while standing still but do you still shoot? Ive switched to bow hunting so for me i really dont worry about running shots anymore but i feel for the people who do it casue out here in the flat, small wooded, farmland it is how most people slug/muzzleload succesfully. Specially around here when hunting is more of a family get together were 5-10 guys/women can all share time together doing our great sport. So for question #1 on a fully sprinted deer i usually lead a whole deer length if not a tad more for 75-100 yards.

#2- about as far out as the nose is

#3- maybe 3-4 feet and go from there

goodluck!

this topic amazes me.

dont harass a guy for asking a question. he has a legitimate one. I hunt in Southwestern MN. I have NEVER shot at a standing still deer. the habitat doesnt allow for that type of hunt. so we have to push the deer. and you know what? i trust myself up to around 150 yards at a run. practice. you wont always make the perfect kill, but just like anything follow up and be responsible. you can easily tell if the deer is hit. I am no worse a deer hunter than anyone else here.

know where your party is at and this method is just as safe as any other. have a backstop, dont shoot at orange. its pretty elementary.

kudos for those who gave sound advice to his question. i agree with your assesments on how far to lead one.

I finished off a deer last year for a young hunter who wounded the buck. I shot five times at a deer running full clip with an 870. The deer was running full tilt over plowed ground and I was treated with a graffic representation of how far I was behind the buck when puffs of dust came up from just behind the deer. The lead is bigger than one would think.

I am an old stand hunter vs drive hunter and pride myself on one shot kills. Never do I take running shots on the first shot, but in this case the deer was wounded but able to cover tons of ground in a hurry and heading for a big swamp. In times like these it pays to practice for the inevitable running follow up shot.

My grandfather and his brother used to practice running shots by putting a target in a tire and rolling it down a hill. You need the right place but sounds fun. Hans

I think a lot of it has to do with the habitat in which you hunt. I always rifle hunted the Northwoods and most shots were 75yrds and under. You only got one or two shots at the most. Running shot was never an option.

It’s hard for me to imagine “blazin away at a full on sprint deer”, but then again I’ve never deer hunted any type of prairie land.

I don’t think it’s really fair to compare a running deer to flying ducks/pheasant. Most of those shots are at a safe upward angle with multiple projectiles, while shooting at a running deer is usually from a standing position firing level to the land with a single more deadly projectile.

Bottom line……be safe smile

There are many stand hunting opportunities in SW Minnesota. I hunt from a ground blind and see deer moving all morning. I have had opportunity at standing deer almost every day early in the a.m.

It is only after the drives start that the deer get skittish and stop their natural movement. So as Crappiandcats says- in Farm country if you want to see deer move you have to push them. I usually pheasant hunt after 9:00am and stay out of my ground blind because the drive hunters shooting at running dear have a harder time determining what's beyond their target with all the excitement and I have had too many close calls hunkering down in my ground blind.

My point is to just be mindfull when shooting at running deer and that it's very hard to determine if a shot is safe.Most good hunters know where the people are in their party, but it's rare to know where all the other people in other parties are located. The Sabot slugs and rifled slug barrels of modern shotguns send a projectile alot farther than they used to and there seems to be a lot more of us out there than there used to be. Hans

HHguide,

You can ask anyone in the area that I hunt and I will do almost anything to find a deer. I have been known to follow a deer that has not been hit for a LONG ways just to make sure of it. I will admit that our hunting has changed in the last 10 years where we do only one drive of a small 7 acre woods and we know where the deer will go and where they will run out. We know how to set up for close shot. (by close I mean 10-15 yards). I try to do everything in the book to stop a deer and get a good shot. I know that your first shot is almost always your best shot and to make it count. I can very truthfully tell you that in th last 5 years we (as a party) have shot 4 deer on the dead run. I shot two of them. There was I believe 7 total shots fired at them 4 deer and all the deer were taken. There were none hit in the hind quarters or guts. I got one in the neck and one in the hot box. We have also passed on many shots. I know my limits, and my ability, and I do practice along with my father, brother, dads buddy, and his son. We make a day of it. I write this just to say it is not IMO unethical to shoot a running deer if done safely, and properly. I know this thread got off track and I apolizie for that.

Froggy

I just want to go on record to say that I love a good deer drive and see no ethical problem with taking a shot at a running deer as well.

Any opportuntiy I get to remind hunters and poachers alike that I will be in a ground blind that you might not see- I'm throwing my two sense in. Safety first. Hans

hanso, have you ever considered getting one of those blaze orange camo things that go on top of the ground blind? I don't think the deer would see it, and it would definitely be a good safety precaution so hunters aren't shooting in your direction.

Just a thought, Austen

wow, what a great collection of running deer shots we have here. nobody has ever wounded one while doing that. Sorry if I have a hard time swallowing that. Not picking on anyone in particular here, just in general. Although we did have one honest person talk about puffs of dirt shooting at a wounded one. Hanso612 admitted to being way off while trying to dispatch that deer. I would assume from his post he does not practice running shots that much and as a result missed my many FEET. But somehow it is ethical for others who have not practiced to take that shot. Interesting. How would everyone feel if they had a hunter in their group that would miss a deer by m any feet while standing still. Would that be ethical for that person to continue to shoot then? Then you add the complexity of running shots and miraculously it becomes ok. Heck, then why site in our guns at all, most guns are within 6 or 8 or 10 feet right out of the box.

Simply put, if you are going to take running shots, you should practice before you try it. If you havent practiced somehow, then you shouldnt be doing it.

Cody Dog. Iv'e wounded my share of deer over the years. I've made the mistake of turning my gun sideways to shoot under an overhanging bow, I've hit a twig that didn't show up in my scope but was inches from the barrel. And I've just plain missed due to buck fever or being out of shape. All things I should have known better.

I regret all these times, but still try to be the most ethical I can be. I know I will wound pheasants every season and a deer or two over a lifetime, but justify it to myself and never feel the need to justify it to someone else.

On that running deer it was probably at the outside edge of an ethical range to start and my shots where closer and closer until I had it dialed in. It was exciting and and I will remmember it forever.

You're right I don't practice that running shot but hope to soon. I do make a point of shooting off hand at the end of my sight in session every year.

On the ground blind-I plan to have an orange flag posted. There is another post on this issue elswhere too!

I have the hunting jones so bad today I can just taste it as you can probably tell by the copious posts, but the anticipation is half the fun isn't it.

I hope others are dreaming big today as well.Hans

I do agree with you codyDawg people should practice becasue practice does make perfect or atleast makes you a much better shot. I know its kind of off target but i do alot of coyote and fox hunting and yes i do believe it helps with taking running shots you get a feel for it. Can i sit here and say ive never missed at a running deer NO i cant casue i have missed just like everyone else in this world has missed at one point or another. Go and find me one person who has not missed in there life! and good luck with that! misses are a part of life we are not perfect by anymeans no one is. Do i think you should take a running shot if you arent comfortable or do not believe you can make that shot absolutly not. But if you do it enough and have confidince and have proven to yourself that you are GOOD enough to make a running shot then why should people be on here doubting someone elses abilitys? heck maybe i think shootin a deer with a bow at 60 yards is very brave since i cant do it but if someone says they can do it then i complement them on there abilities in the field! just my 2 cents.

Rage2blade,

I think you hit the nail on the head. We have all missed deer. Sometimes it is operator error, other times dumb luck other times malfunction, or just plain jitters. I have missed alot of deer in my 19 years of hunting. I have dealt with it and moved on. I have learned (I believe) to take a breath and try to relax when I do see a deer. Most young hunters have practiced (atleast I hope so) before they go in the woods, BUT most do not know how to react and get in a hurry when they actually shoot at there first. I admit that I missed a very nice buck last year due to the fever. I was only 35-40 yards away STANDING!!! I also know that I am a very good shot.

I just hate to see people like me be crusified (sp) for taking a shot at a deer that someone else would not do. If they saw the area and understood the way it is done, I hope they would change there mind.

Froggy

Froggy,

I did not and do not mean to crucify anyone who has wounded a deer. It happens. However, I do stand by my principle that if you have not prepared yourself for certain situations then you have no business taking the shot. big difference. If prepared and able to confidently make it, go ahead. If not prepared and seek out how to hit a running deer 3 days before the season on an internet forum...I dont think so. Just my opinion. really the same goes for standing still shots. If you havent prepared for any type of shot, then you have no business taking it.

CodyDawg,

I agree with you whole heartly with that. If that is what you are going to do. Make sure you have practiced, practiced, and practiced. I hope that there was no one offended by my posts and if I did I apoligize for that.

Froggy

Same here i dont want to offend people or seem like im "preaching" at someone. This is a great sport that all of us love and share a passion for. I agree with you on what you said CodyDawg, we should all practice as much as possible it is the best way to make that shot when the time comes. Sometimes things happen and it doesnt go the way as planed but hey i think it is part of hunting i wish we didnt lose deer cause that would be great, i think we just have to realize what our boundries are before hunting season and if you dont feel comfortable with a certain shot just dont take it better to let that deer live and hope for one to come by that offers the shot you want! I hope everyone has a great and most importantly safe hunting season.

It's a given in most of mn that people drive/shoot deer on the run. I do it every year. We are in the zone that got changed to rifle's which wasn't exciting to me. But 75 yds get on them and if you don't stop your swing, thats the key 5-7 feet. Stop your swing and your 10ft behind them. If they are in the crp they mostly are hopping and then you shoot where they are going to land, thats grampa's trick. Trotting it isn't much of a lead get in on them and keep your swing and they will fall. 50 yds is the same still out 5 or so feet.

The biggest thing isn't the lead its shooting over them, I shoot coyotes on the run alot, I seem to have to hold on there knees while they are running, same for deer, they aren't as tall as you think or they seem. Hold your gun down, get a good swing and KEEP it moving, and shoot. It takes practice and time. Its not on how may shots you get off, as a deer crusing is only within 150yds for a couple seconds, make the first or second count after that its tough.