• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spearing opener in nov?

glenn57

as one of the new posters pointed out, so i looked on the dnr HSOforum, sure enough the spearingopener is dec 15th. that is rediculous, stupid and cant believe it. anyone else think this way? its just not common sense to me. confusedconfusedconfused

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as one of the new posters pointed out, so i looked on the dnr HSOforum, sure enough the spearingopener is dec 15th. that is rediculous, stupid and cant believe it. anyone else think this way? its just not common sense to me. confusedconfusedconfused

I am not sure where you are getting your info but this is what I am believin’

Click here to view Spearing Regs

I believe this was put in by the legislature after the fishing regulations book was printed. I remember reading in one of the daily newspapers the new laws that had been passed.

I forgot to put in my previous post. When you go to the DNR site & click on fishing then to seasons the spearing comes up on nov 15.

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. I just figured if global warming decides to kick out that I wouldn't want someone to miss out on an opportunity.

I forgot to put in my previous post. When you go to the DNR site & click on fishing then to seasons the spearing comes up on nov 15.

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest. I just figured if global warming decides to kick out that I wouldn't want someone to miss out on an opportunity.

No hornets nest stirred here.

This is what makes this forum a great place to visit. cool

I think some more research is in order.

Maybe I will have to fit my spear house with those pontoons after all!!! grin

E-mail sent

We will see what they say.

To: [email protected]; [email protected]

Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:44:22 PM

Subject: 2008 Spearing Opener

When is it?

Which page do I believe?

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/seasons.html

11/15/08 - 02/22/09 Dark House Spearing Season

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2008.pdf#page=56

Dec. 1, 2008 – last Sunday in February except where prohibited.

...... Meanwhile, back on the subject of this tread ......

good catch CMKURT and glen57

Now, how shall I prepare my crow. grin

----- Forwarded Message ----

To: merkman

Sent: Wednesday, November 5, 2008 10:17:42 AM

Subject: Re: 2008 Spearing Opener

It changed to November 15. The fishing regulations have not been updated yet.

Suellen Rau, Supervisor

Information Center

MN Department of Natural Resources

Bureau of Information & Education

500 Lafayette Rd

St. Paul, MN 55155-4040

651/296-6157

[email protected]

>>>merkman 11/4/2008 4:44 PM >>>

When is it?

Which page do I believe?

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/seasons.html

11/15/08 - 02/22/09 Dark House Spearing Season

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/fishing2008.pdf#page=56

Dec. 1, 2008 – last Sunday in February except where prohibited.

Skets. thats not the point. If you were going to go ice fishing for crappies, and there was no ice, would you go? NO,

but at least you could get out becuase the season the season is open. I dont like this at all.

I have not received email bacl yet, but im not happy about this one bit.

I dont like this at all.

BnS-

What don't you like?

The opener is set so early that it seems goofy, but that just means we will probably never have to sit on shore waiting when there enough ice to spear.

I've ice fished on Thanksgiving up by Brainerd more than once. Of course the last few yrs, I've gone duck hunting or open water trolling for muskies over Thanksgiving. You never know.

Huey

but at least you could get out becuase the season the season is open.

How is that possible if there is no ice?

My point is, if there isn't no ice by the 15th, how are you going to spear?

Also, what is the difference when the spearing opener is?

You will go when mother nature says you can go depending on what the ice conditions are, period.

personally i can wait till dec 1...... well maybe not, but heres the way i look at it. unless you go way up north when was the last time there was decent safe ice even by thanksgiving? i look at it this way, if there is ice which i doubt by nov 15 it will only tempt people to push there luck to try to get on the ice. i think its a saftey issue, thats all. i bet its been 25 years since theres been safe enough ice to walk on by or on the 15th of nov. hope ya all understand my rambling.

i think its a saftey issue, thats all.

A safety issue that applies to spearing but not ice fishing? crazy

If you make it one-who-thinks-I-am-silly proof they will build a better one-who-thinks-I-am-silly.

You can't Legislate Against Stupidity.

I personally like moving it up.

I don't understand why it is there in the first place.

But then again I am the type to take personal responsibility if I fall though the ice because I am stupid enough to be out there, not to sue the state because the opener was before there was safe ice.

merkman, i dont disagree with you one bit, but realisticlly what are the chances of being able to spear on nov 15th? to me slim to none unless your north of winnebeg and they dont aloow spearing so why have a law on the booke like that. its plane goofy IMO.

I must be missing something here because I really don't see the problem. If for some reason we had safe ice on Nov. 15th people would be complaining to the DNR as to why they couldn't be spearing(if it wasn't open). Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!