• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New, inexpensive ice gear

Animal

Gander Mtn has rod & reel combos priced in the $15 range. Tackle City, who advertises on FM, has panfish kits available and you get up to 50 jigs for around $20. Hand augers sell for about $30. Shop used for the rest of the equipment. Right now there are lots of people upgrading equipment and there are good deals on flashers, portables, power augers, etc. Local bait shops seem to be the best place to find used gear. I bought a year old Vex FL-8 for $90 a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised on a bait shop bullitin board. Ask the bait shop staff what old stuff they have laying around thats priced right. Used stuff doesn't have to be in good shape if it is repairable and usually has the best price.

Have fun fishing this winter.

Gander Mtn has rod & reel combos priced in the $15 range. Tackle City, who advertises on FM, has panfish kits available and you get up to 50 jigs for around $20. Hand augers sell for about $30. Shop used for the rest of the equipment. Right now there are lots of people upgrading equipment and there are good deals on flashers, portables, power augers, etc. Local bait shops seem to be the best place to find used gear. I bought a year old Vex FL-8 for $90 a couple of weeks ago. It was advertised on a bait shop bullitin board. Ask the bait shop staff what old stuff they have laying around thats priced right. Used stuff doesn't have to be in good shape if it is repairable and usually has the best price.

Have fun fishing this winter.

You can find some nice rods and reels that are inexpensive and tackle isn't too bad either when it comes to prices. What kind of gear are you looking for?

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

LilBro, I saw your Title was "New" but on a budget and maybe new to getting gear, used can be a great start. Especially when we're talking portables and augers. Matt's on the mark re: rods and reels. You can get pretty good bang for your buck and still have some change when your done. Or you can be like me, when you have extra money grin.gif (right!) you buy a rod....or a reel... or a flasher....or. Go to the store, check the reel action. Is it smooth? Does it feel flimsy? Anti reverse? So on. Then compare $. Main thing is did I spend my hard earned bucks wisely. Name brands? There's alot of people who really know what they're doing on the ice with this HSOforum. Listen to what they like/dislike and shop around.

------------------
chunky

If your near a Cabela's you can pick up inexpensive items in their bargain cave or don't be afraid to try some rummage sales. You will be surprised what you can pick up for a couple of $. Good Luck!

LilBro,

Ice fishing is a sport that requires a vast amount of equipment. OR, you can make it as simple as you want.

I would suggest trying to spread your purchases out over a number of years. Buy what you need to start out this year and acquire more gear as you figure out how you fish, what you like to fish for, where you fish, etc. etc.

Rods are obviously needed, same with some tackle and a way to make a hole in the ice.

Back before ice fishing became a comfortable, mobile sport for me, the only time we ended up on the ice was on those later winter days when the sun was out and the temp. was above freezing. We hand augered a couple holes with my dad's 6" spoon blade auger and sat there with stick rods. Any fish we did catch had to be pulled in hand over hand.

I've slowly spent my hard earned money over the last 4-5 years gathering all the equipment I need for myself. Its scary to think how much money I have invested but I didn't throw it all down at once.

hansons right, get the things that you need to start fishing. rods/reels, tackle, auger, ice scoop, etc. check the paper, hsolist- places like that for some deals on equipment. you don't need all the bells and whistles right away to catch fish. find some buddies that have some of the other items needed and fish with them. also,if you are on a budget you could try making a portable yourself and save money that way. just a 4x6 or something would get the job done. my buddy used to have a homemade shack that worked very well, it's just that they are a bit heavier than manufactured shacks. if you want info on a homemade shack i would be glad to help you out or someone else in this great forum would too!

[This message has been edited by ivegottabite (edited 09-22-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 09-22-2004).]

I'm a high school kid thats on a budget. i have to pay for a car, insurance, sports, and equipment. i was just wondering what kind of new ice gear is out there for the cheap ones among us?

------------------
My dad looks like Al Linder, does that make me a better fisherman?
I believe so.

Here's another thought, find a store that has layaway for those big purchases like a flasher or shack or auger. You could proably put a fl-8 on layaway now and have it when the ice comes on. Spread your payments out over a couple months. Good luck.

The portable I made seven year ago is still going strong. Cost was about $80. Most important to me is that I can stand up in it(6'6" height). It's a basic 4x8, slides into the box of my truck, and takes 5 min to set up. What I really like is that the tarp is very tight and doesn't flap in a wind.

I have many rods, like the new rapala ice fishing rod (thanx Bobb-o) and i have a gander ice combo too. I want to get serious about it and have fun doing it. last year i had one rod, a bucket, and i spud bar. i've got some buddies who have shacks so i'll prolly mooch from them for a while too. do you guys know about real lube that will make my reels not as sluggish when i convert from summer to winter?

------------------
My dad looks like Al Linder, does that make me a better fisherman?
I believe so.

LilBro - do you just have a spud bar and no auger? You should be able to pick one up REALLY CHEAP - in fact, I've seen a few guys on this site give old ones away to newbies.

If you can find an auger and a cheap used flasher or graph (my friend started with an old Lowrance green box flasher and a popple branch transducer support), you will be independent and mobile. You can always upgrade later. Shop around - pawn shops are another cheap option for gear shopping.

Good luck and pray for cold weather.

Blaze