• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

30-06

mrklean

Here is a link that will help you out http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx first select your caliber and then pick the load closest to what you will be shooting and go from there. you can find any caliber on here and also if you click the compare link on right you can click as many as you want and it will show them all. also a good way to learn your ballistics.

More than likely the gun is more accurate than you are. Ballistically speaking if you're a couple inches high at 100 yds you'll be on out to 300 yds, out past that you need to know the range within 50 yds, and know the ballistics of your selected ammo. 150 grain bullets are the flattest shooting, I shoot winchester ballistic silvertips out of my '06 and my 7mm STW, but if you hit the front shoulder, don't bother trying to salvage much meat. The '06 has a very wide variety of ammo available, so if you're concerned about taking long shots do a little research before you buy, ballistics vary widely from the premium 150's to the roundnose 220's. Good luck.

Mike

More than likely the gun is more accurate than you are. Ballistically speaking if you're a couple inches high at 100 yds you'll be on out to 300 yds,

How do you figure I just looked on federals site and here is what it shows for a 150 grain Nosler accubond which is about the flatest shooting bullet for an 06

Load No Caliber Grains/ Grams Bullet Style Brand Use

P3006A2 30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm) 150 / 9.72 Nosler® AccuBond® Vital-Shok®

Velocity in Feet per Second (To nearest 10 FPS)

Velocity

Load No Caliber Muzzle 100 Y 200 Y 300 Y 400 Y 500 Y

P3006A2 30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm) 2910 2696 2493 2298 2112 1934

Energy in Foot Pounds (To nearest 5 Foot Pounds)

Energy

Load No Caliber Muzzle 100 Y 200 Y 300 Y 400 Y 500 Y

P3006A2 30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm) 2820 2421 2069 1758 1485 1246

Wind Drift in Inches (at 10 MPH)

Wind Drift

Load No Caliber 100 Y 200 Y 300 Y 400 Y 500 Y

P3006A2 30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm) 0.7 3.0 6.8 12.8 20.6

Average Range

Average Range

Load No Caliber 50 Y 100 Y 200 Y 300 Y

P3006A2 30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm) -0.2 -3.3 -12.2

Long Range

Long Range

Load No Caliber 50 Y 100 Y 200 Y 300 Y 400 Y 500 Y

P3006A2 30-06 Spring. (7.62x63mm) 0.6 1.6 0 -7.2 -21.1 -42.6

Mike

.06 is a very popular caliber in the USA. I shoot reloads with mine. My longest shot was range finder-ed @ 327 yards right in the boiler, it humped up and crumbled over. I'd not hesitate at 400. But, I know my gun, I know my ballistics on it and know my abilities. This is where range time improves your capabilities and establishes confidence in yourself and gun.

Well said Paul! I completely agree with doing your homework and getting to know your gun first and especially your ballistics on each of your guns. What I do is put an index card on my stock and write all my ballistics I need to know for a quick reference guide.

Bass, it is very possible to make that kind of a shot with an 06, but if you dont have a marked reticle or tactical scope you are just guessing how high above the animal you need to aim and to me that is very unethical, because there is a good chance you will put a bad shot on that animal. Just my 2 cents

IMO the safest distance is one that you are comfortable with shooting and have practiced. Not to say you are like a lot of people but I know way to many people that only pick up a gun for a shot or two before hunting and that is all they shoot all year.

Be safe this weekend and have a good hunt.

Froggy

mclean keep in mind with a 150 gr bullet sighted in at 2 inches high at 100yds with be dead on at 200 but will drop a little over 8 inches at 300yds Aim for the spine and your golden. The Nosler Accubond is a great load as well is the Fushions for deer drops em right there for me everytime.

If you look at Winchester's site, the Ballistic Silvertip, which is what I used as an example, if sited in at 1.7 high at 100 yds is shooting 7.3 low at 300 yds. If you raise that up a bit at 100 you're around 6" low at 300, which is a dead deer if you're aiming high on the shoulder. Also depends on the length of barrel you have on your rifle, a short barrel will drop velocity and therefore lose trajectory.

Mike

haha you guys have really taken this a little farther then i was looking. i just wanted to know what a safe distance to shoot out to, knowing it will be flat shooting. I wont be bombing anything out to 300 yards or anything near that, im talking 150-200 max. Just want to make sure its good and flat thats all. Thanks for all the info, if i go out west ill make sure i look back at this post lots of good stuff.

In the words of the late great Jack O'Connor, "aruging the merits of .270 compared to the the .06 is a futile effort" Now, if a guy REALLY wants to know his ballistics you have to crony your rounds. When you look at reloading info you always see what gun was used and what barrel lenght. Typically, you would subtract 100 FPS for every inch your gun is shorter then the test barrel. However, a good rule of thimb is, if dead on at 25 yrds you are dead on at 250. However, and he I go again, it has to be done on the range. After I get dead on at 25 I move to 100. After 100 it's clay birds at 250 then ice blocks at 300 that I freeze in 4 X 8 Tupperware and remove them. I like this method because I can see em explode in the scope. I highly recommend borrowing some reloading manuals and read about ballistics. It gives one a deeper appreciation of what happen when you squeeze one off. From my old marksmanship days...BRASS....Breathe, relax, aim, sight, squeeze. I love these discussions.

Bass, it is very possible to make that kind of a shot with an 06, but if you dont have a marked reticle or tactical scope you are just guessing how high above the animal you need to aim and to me that is very unethical, because there is a good chance you will put a bad shot on that animal. Just my 2 cents

I agree with you 100%. Its going to be more then luck then anything else. Takes some skill to kinda figure it out, but still!