• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

British Lab Owners

walleye vision

Any Brit Lab owners out here. If so, could you tell me how you've enjoyed your dog? Any pros/cons? I've heard they don't have the drive of an American Lab, but don't know if this is true or a myth. I've heard great things about their temperment and obedience, and really like their smaller size. If you've owned an American Lab and now own a Brit...or vise versa, what are the big differences you've noticed.

Thanks,

WV

I'm a hound guy--don't know nothin about bird dogs--but my brother owned a British Lab and that dog was a bird huntin machine. It was small and very biddible and a very calm dog and the best bird dog for pheasents and ducks and geese that I ever saw. What is it with the size of American Labs? Thats all I hear about from guys talking about thier labs and how big they are at such and such an age.

I'm a hound guy--don't know nothin about bird dogs--but my brother owned a British Lab and that dog was a bird huntin machine. It was small and very biddible and a very calm dog and the best bird dog for pheasents and ducks and geese that I ever saw. What is it with the size of American Labs? Thats all I hear about from guys talking about thier labs and how big they are at such and such an age.

I'd have to say this is pretty accurate from my experience. My dog is an absolute machine on ducks, geese and pheasants. Always going 100mph for as long as you want to hunt. She is anywhere from about 55-60 pounds depending on time of year.

I hunted over two of them and was so impressed that I had to have one of my own. I think you may have heard wrong. All I have seen and heard about these dogs is the drive they have. Mine is going to be three in April and he is a hunting machine. He is a male and is 60lbs. He is great with my 2 year old daughter. Not to mention they are very trainable! Needless to say, I am sold on the breed. I have owned two labs prior to my Brit and you can tell the difference in size and behavior.

Good luck

I got my british lab from Dennis & Janice Anderson at BritishLabradors, and have been thrilled with his hunting and around house abilities. Hunts all day... ducks, geese pheasants and grouse and is calm and gentle around the house. Very east to train and naturally birdy with a great nose. I strongly recommend. Just a side note, check out the breaders before you buy, there's alot of breeders/kennels out there that say that they have british labs but alot of them aren't really british labs.

Bryan

I have 2 both 50 lbs and absolutely love them, smart bidable and good w/ kids. My oldest lab will be three this spring and is a bird hunting machine-if there are birds around she will flush/find and retrieve them.We went out west last month and she ran so hard through the brush sevral of her nipples were bloody,still didn't slow her down. The leaves are down up here and grouse have been flushing out ahead so my dogs are being kept at heel to hunt as nonslip retrievers. Small enough to sit anywhere in the boat or sit between my legs on the snowmobile yet tough enough to pull my ice fishing gear around in the winter and pull me on a skateboard in the summer. Only negative might be how soft tempered they are, i can/will never strike the dog cuz I can make them cower just by yelling at them. i think that's also an advantage because they have never and will never need a shock collar.

redhooks

Originally Posted By: Augusta
My chocolate lab is 65 lbs, how does one know if they own a british lab? Thanks

If it barks with an English accent then it's a British Lab. grin

Or if it has crooked teeth.

Originally Posted By: Rainman
Lip ripper, where did you get your dog from? I want to get one this winter or spring. Anybody else can chime in as well.

Terry Holzinger at Holzinger Kennels. An internet search will find him. He also trained her and did an awesome job.

Our English Lab is now 14 yrs old and we got it from Holzinger. Last year was his last hunt but that dog was a pheasant champ. To date best lab I have ever seen hunt and it is so sad to see him his last leg. But hes still a good boy.

My 6 month old lab is from Tallgrass Kennels out in SoDak. I looked around, visited breeders, actually called and talked to the references I was given. Tallgrass has a nice HSOforum that explains their dogs, the breeding program and what they are all about.

We are still in the "puppy" stage of training, its all fun and games. This is my third lab - the last 2 were chocolates out of AKC field trial stock, and there are some very big differences in temperament. Young Monty is as fast and has as much get-up-and-go as anyone could hope for. However, he seems so much easier to get through to - and get quick and happy compliance, than the previous dogs. He learned "sit" and "heel" in basically one session each.

So far, so good.

Now seriously, how do you tell the difference between an English lab and an American lab?

The pedigree is a good place to start.

I'm not knocking the standard lab we have all come to know and love - far from it! I have had two very good boys, dogs that I was pleased to hang out with.

In my opinion, the temperament of the Brits is very different, and my experience in training so far reinforces that notion.

Not sure if it's true but I once heard that they've been breeding labs alot longer in england than we have been here and that many american labs have been bred for speed and power for field trials/hunting situations where many seem to be hyper. Over in England they bred thier dogs to be mellow in social situations and that sometimes they brought them to parties/movies and pubs so a bidable disposition was desired while still keeping a hard hunting drive in the field. I am very impressed with how my dogs react around kids and infants and can be tied up in front of the local cafe/tavern while we eat but can still turn on the juice in the field.

Some of this may be nature vs nurture and I think if you take your pup everywhere you go and expose it to as many different sitautions as possible you'll end up with a well rounded dog but if you leave it in a kennel except for hunting days your gonna end up with a freak on the loose.

redhooks

We both an American lab and a British lab. I love them both. The British has an insaitable desire to retireve. The british also seems a little better with her nose than the American lab. I have said it before but a British lab has all the great lab features just in a smaller package.

Here is a British lab (smaller about 60lbs and shorter) on the left and an american lab (85 lbs.) on the right.

magoscar3resizevh2.jpg

Another pic to give an idea of size. In the picture: American lab, British lab and American woman grin

oscarmagkellyha0.jpg

She seems to really do well bird hunting. She points at times and I never worked with her on it. There is a grouse just a few feet in front of her.

maggieonpointzi7.jpg

One of the biggest differences I have noticed is that the Brits seem to be more sensitive. I don't have to be as enthusiastic during training and definitely have to watch the inflection in my voice so she doesn't flop down with her belly up and tail between her legs.

Are you looking at getting a lab? If you are and want info on the breeder I got my pup from email me, [email protected]