• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

venison jerkey

I don,t have a recipe but the brand I love is the High Mountain brand and I use the pepper blend. I will slice up my venison into 1/8 to 1/4 inch slices(best if it is semi-frozen)apply the cure to both sides(follow directions) but I will cure for 48 hours and I will use my smoker to dry out my venison. I try to keep it at 160 to 180 for 2-3 hours. I use charcoal with hickory chips in tin foil and the flavor is great if you like a smoky pepper taste.My venison is about 18 to 24 inches above the heat.

I go with ground venison as well, no beef added though. As we cut our deer, we dedicate ultra-lean trimmings to the "jerky pile" and grind into burger and zip-loc baggie it into gallon bags. I like the high mountain seasonings but the Nesco brand is very good as well. You can buy that at Fleet Farm. I have a dehydrator and usually make 2 or 3 different flavors per batch. Easy and delicious!

I do it both ways, but the ground is easier and I actually like it better as its easier to eat. I have found that "Shore Lunch" makes jerky seasoning that are pretty darn good.

I actually have to do the ground. Had a gastric bypass a few years ago and can't eat the chunks of meat. Did this spring and a chunk got stuck in my esophagus. Didn't know it, but after not holding any food down for two days and then not being able to keep even water down I went in and got scoped and had her yanked out. Not a great experience so it's all ground for me from now on.

I use just lean ground venison, I have tried with hamburger and the fat renders out and sits on top. Then when it cools it gets that white fat coating and also will spoil faster.

I've made both and like the others said the ground veni version with a jerky gun is the easiest, unless you have a slicer (which I don't) that can slice each piece the same thickness. My favorite brand-name mix is Hi-Mountain, also. They sell a variety pack that has 5 flavors in smaller packets. I made a batch of each flavor last year with moose and the deer hunting gang all said the cracked-pepper and garlic or the original were the best.

Here's another simple recipe that I made that people either loved it or hated it...no middle ground on this one!

3 lb. roast

3 cups soy sauce

3 cups packed brown sugar

4 fluid ounces hickory-flavored liquid smoke

Slice roast into slabs approximately 1/4 inch thick. Trim off all of the fat. Cut the slabs into strips (about 1/4 inch wide), and about 4 inches long.

In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, brown sugar and hickory-flavored liquid smoke; blend well. Place all of the meat into the bowl of marinade. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.---that's from the original recipe, I think I keep it in overnight.

Place the meat in a food dehydrator for about 12 to 20 hours, depending how dry you like your jerky. Rotate the trays after 6 hours. For example: Bottom tray on top, top tray on bottom, second tray from bottom to be second tray from top, and so on.---also from the original recipe. I used the oven at the lowest setting, about 175-200, with the door cracked open, checking every hour or so until it was done. This is an all-day activity.

Like I said, my brother and I really like this one (it's sweet, like a candy almost) and some of the others made a face. It has no cure in it like the Hi-Mountain, so make sure you eat it right away or put it in the fridge.