• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slinging arrows during slug season.

All my buddys leave the woods during slug season. Just wondering how many other guys work the woods with there sticks and string during slug season. Its my favorite time of year to bow hunt and now I got slug hunters pushing the deer around. They have this thing about having to wear blaze orange. Plus all the other hunters out in the woods wears on there nerves. It deosn't bug me how about you guys.

I usually head over to WI during MN gun season, and vice versa... I like being safe, and dont like wearing orange.. LOL
Heh? I can see that from your avatar Deitz or is that red? Seems orangeish red on my computer though. I hunt with the bow during firearms behind my house during the slug season and make it over to Wisc. if I have free time. One of the best times to be in the woods in my opinion as the deer get pushed and move all day long.

Tunrevir~

I love to bowhunt more than gun hunting deer, but I gun hunt during the gun season. Kinda fun and a change of pace!

Plus, why bring a knife to a gun fight?

Well said.

I used to bow hunt during the rifle season. Then I started to shoot handguns. Now I hunt the rifle season, in my best bow stand, with a handgun. Mabe this year I will actualy shoot one. grin

I am just happy to be deer hunting. I started out a rifle hunter, switched to being a bowhunter (longer season and much warmer), and now do both. I am not going to give anyone else a hard time for how they hunt either.

Whatever you do, you have to own it. If you want to bowhunt durring the rifle season, or the muzzle loader season, or the baby seal season who cares. Get out your orange, join the orange army and go hunting.

is it harder to hunt with a bow during the slug season...this is my first year deer hunting and hunting with a bow and im the only one in the family who hunts so im trying to teach myself with the help of some others....some have said that having slug hunters out helps....im on private land...WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!

I was actually thinking about starting a topic on this subject!!

Here's my dilemma. I mostly bowhunt but during the shotgun season in (the old) zone 4 I'd slug hunt with relatives, it was kind of fun, and the deer drives are always fun, they get your heart pumping, then I'd go back to bowhunting on the week in between the two slug seasons, the deer calm down after a couple of days and the bucks are really moving by that Thursday and Friday. I've even been known to sit with my bow on the second Sat of slug hunting.

Now this year, with the new 9 day straight season, I can take either my gun or bow. As one of the earlier posters said, why take a knife to a gun fight? What if that 14 point walks by at 50 yards and I only have a bow in my hands? But I'd be a LOT happier shooting that big buck with my bow!!! Decisions, decisions!!!

This nine day season also throws a wrench into some of the spots I bowhunt, I hate going on public land when slug hunters are out there, too many crazies, and too easier to encounter a red coat sitting on the same fence line that you are, facing you at 100 yards as the sun comes up!!!