• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pop-up tent style ice shelters

fish4ever

I have been searching for a pop-up style ice shelter ever since I saw a prototype at a garage sale this spring. It lloks like a huntig blind but has the floor cut out for fishing. The only one I found so far is the HT Deluxe Polar shelter Has anyone else seen these? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
fish4ever

[This message has been edited by Paul Waldowski (edited 09-21-2004).]

Last year I watched two guys try and put one of those up in about a 25-30 mph wind. It must have taken them 20 to 25 minutes to stake it down. I felt so bad for them I almost got out of my toasty warm shelter to help them but I did't.

I had one of those consarned tent things a few years ago. UPS delivered it on Christmas Eve so I tried to set it up in my basement and it kicked my butt. Too much eggnog? Not enough ceiling height I thought so I went outside. The wind played havoc with my new toy and the darkness didn't help. A few weeks later I tried to set it up once on the ice with my brother to protect our young kids from the elements. Two hours later (too much eggnog?), we finally concluded the thing was inside out, with the spider-leg frame working against us. Too cold to continue working on it, I put it in the garage and advertised it for sale. A guy came over one evening and we worked on it for an hour in the dark and wind, finally making it set up correctly. He gladly paid me $10 less than I paid for it and reports he and his wife love it for being lightweight yet roomy enough. I would have paid him $100 to have taken it off my hands! I love my Eskimo Quick Flip II a lot more. Perhaps if I had more patience the experience would have been more positive. If you get one make sure the Chinese who assembled it didn't play a trick on you like they did me. And stay away from eggnog!

Kevin

I had one of the above pop-up houses for several years. It was very comfortable, and very light weight. When I first bought it I found that the screws that you screwed to the ice so it would not blow across the lake were a pain to put in so I just brought my cordless drill some 4" deck screws with washers. Unit worked great UNLESS it was very windy. The strong wind would make it lay flat. tried everything to keep it up, but it would just fold over. The last year I had it, it was too windy everytime and it became very frustrating. So I bought a suit case style portable. Much heavier, but doesn't fold up in the wind. If it wasn't for that flaw I would still have it.
Just my 2 cents.
Jim