• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Camera

I picked up a Nikon D90 on Friday and here are some of my first photos. I'm sure Steve and Dan will enjoy these images. I am very happy with the higher ISO capabilities of this camera.

ISO 1600, f5.6, 1/500s, 105mm

Duncan.jpg

ISO 1250, f5.6, 1/320, 105mm

miller.jpg

ISO 1000, f5.6, 1/500, 105mm

eidsness.jpg

Go SIOUX!!!!!!! gringringrin

Oh, nice pics, too. Sorry, yak. Just got caught up seeing pics of my ole university stomping grounds. shocked

That second image looks like he was shooting for the 5-hole but it came in just a little too high to get through. frown

I thought you were gone before they built the Palace on the Prairie. Connolly had an amazing weekend, the Sioux fired away all night and still only got 2 goals.

We lost but it was still a good time and definitely gave me the opportunity to test out the higher iso functions on a slow lens with lots of action. I was never happy with the D50s noise above 800 iso, but I am very satisfied with this new camera.

Well, I was gone from GF and UND before the House that Ralph Built went up, but my Dad covered Sioux hockey for the GF Herald from the late 60s until 2006 and still covers it for the Sioux Web site and a few other publications, so I've been a Sioux guy for a long time.

Not to mention, they had my Dad's retirement party in the Herald's luxury suite at the Ralph. Managed to sneak in a bit of camera gear for that one. gringrin

I've heard the D90's noise performance was very good, and these excellent images bear it out. smilesmile

That rink is the nicest rink I've seen a hockey game in. But I still liked the old tin roofed Ralph it was loud and the students were permitted to be obnoxious. The new rink is a little to corporate for my taste. Feels more like going to a pro game instead of a Sioux game.

Another GO Sioux!!! Congratulations yak, you didn't mention you had a new toy to take to the game! Now that I have a kid at "W" I actually kind of pay attention to some of their results!

Can I ask what you did for WB? If that is AWB, I'm very impressed! Colors look very good, especially for a hockey arena! Even the RalphE.

These are very clean 1600 shots for sure!

I used AWB and took these in JPEG so I would have more room on the card. I let elements do a quick fix on the images that were grayed out and then I monkeyed with the levels, sharpness and ran a little NN on them.

I can't resist... I just can't!! I'm a Gopher guy and the Sioux... man the Sioux might be in for a long year! When the Badgers put five past anybody on a given night you know there may be a goalie issue. "sconi has not been known to be a good offensive team of recent years... well maybe until this past Saturday. gringrin Hee hee

You're a Gopher fan? Here I thought you had some taste after all you are a Nikon guy. gringrin

I'm not ready to commit to anything after the last four years of slow starts, this one isn't looking any worse than any of those. Besides we'll see if the Gophers can get through January or if they will implode like usual. wink

VERY impressive colors! I have a hard time getting those types of colors with a CWB!

That's good to hear, I just found out the guy I would have to ask how to set up a CWB is a Choker fan. If Buzz set one up for me it would probably have a rosey tint to it.

That's good to hear, I just found out the guy I would have to ask how to set up a CWB is a Choker fan. If Buzz set one up for me it would probably have a rosey tint to it.

You mean magenta and yellowish tinge smile

Take a shot of a white object, white tee shirt, white paper, wall or in this case with hockey the ice works great. Just make sure you fill the frame with the white. This is the shot that you will use in your menu as the default picture for a custom white balance. You now set your camera white balance to "custom white balance".

I make sure to take that shot at 1/60s or 1/30s to allow a complete cycling of the lights. Many lights in arenas cycle from red to green. By taking a custom white balance shot at these shutter speeds you allow the lights to go through the complete cycle giving you a better averaging of the color for the white balance shot to use.

Its early is right my boys, but I like the nice start to the season. MN is young, young and apparently talented... its a long season and we can have fun with a little sports smack talkin.

WCHA

WCHA Overall

Team GP W-L-T Pts.GF-GA GP W-L-T GF-GA

1 Minnesota 6 4-0-2 10 21-13 6 4-0-2 21-13

2 Colorado College 4 3-0-1 7 11-6 8 5-0-3 20-12

3 Alaska-Anchorage 4 2-1-1 5 9-9 8 5-2-1 26-20

Denver 4 2-1-1 5 17-14 7 4-2-1 28-21

5 North Dakota 4 2-2-0 4 10-15 6 2-4-0 13-23

6 Minnesota-Duluth 3 1-1-1 3 9-6 7 4-1-2 27-15

Minnesota State 4 1-2-1 3 14-14 6 3-2-1 23-18

Wisconsin 6 1-4-1 3 20-25 8 1-6-1 25-35

9 Michigan Tech 4 1-3-0 2 7-10 6 2-4-0 12-17