• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trimming

My dad and i just moved a stand and we are bow hunting. does trimming affect the deer, like will they change there paths because we trimmed a little. we did set up a mineral block also. we trimmed it earlier today and i was planning on hunting it tonight possible or one of the other stands that we have on that land?

I put some Trails end 307 out on a wick in front of my girlfriends stand. She shot a nice 5 point buck out of it. Not sure if it was attracted to the scent or not though. I had set the stand up a couple days before and trimmed branches off it also.

The larger bucks usually know if one does to much trimming in their area. With the rut coming on, as suggested already, they will chase the does anyways if they are hot.

I try to do all of my trimming long before I archery hunt a stand and do as little as possible.

I would also wear some rubber gloves to leave as little scent as possible in the area. It does make a diiference. Yes, the young ones and some does will be ok maybe but, that buck of your dreams will not put up with any human scent new in the area.

Older deer will know someone has been rearranging the furniture. But, the peak rut is near so the big guys won't be too concerned about interior decorating. Be sure to use the doe-in-heat now for a little distraction.

You must have read Dr. Kens book grin

We try not to make any changes if at all possible but sometimes you have to in order to get the right sight line. We try to make all our changes at the end of the season so they have all year to get used to it.

I'm moving a stand tonight and will do some trimming, however, I will touch nothing with my hands etc, it will only get hit with the pole saw and the pruner. Try and be as inconspicuos as possible. It's easy to trim now that there aren't any leaves and most of the ground foliage is dead. If you can do it without rolling around and dragging your scent all over, go ahead, if its just a snip hear and a snip there. Worked for me last year.

We opened up several with a chainsaw this weekend. If it's an area where the deer will be pressured especially gun hunting it will be fine. I'd venture they will have to check out the new changes. At least on farms where they're used to some human scent cutting with the chainsaw & not trying to hide it makes them accept it.