• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

should I or shouldn't I?

Ryan_V

As some of you know I lost my best friend this spring to the highway. He was my 10 year old GSP. I swore I wouldn't get another one until the kids were older and I could get another pup and work with it like I did my Jake, but here's my delima. I see a free 2 year old GSP female in the local paper. Papers, purebred, all shots, etc. I called the guy and he says she's a good dog, but doesn't like to hunt. I never hunted much with my GSP, but did like to have a dog for hunting when I did go. Is a dog this age still trainable, and more specifically trainable by someone with limited knowledge? I would realize that she would be more of a family dog than a hunter, but when I do hunt, the most enjoyment i get is from watching the dog work. What should I do?? any advice is welcome!!

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for when it comes to quality hunting dogs. I also feel that better bred dogs will get you a calmer gentle house dog. Most quality breeders put a lot in making sure they pass on the good traits.