• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Preparing reels for ice

Matchman

Reels that get sluggish in the cold usually don't have a good quality low temperature lube in them. I'd take the reel apart, and using toothpicks, q-tips, or whatever, get as much of the old grease out as you possibly can. Then, relube with HT's Bluelube, or Quantum Hotsauce, or similar. My number one tip to get ready for ice is to put fresh line on all of your reels - don't just use last years, or take old open water line and use that. New line, every year. Same goes for tipup leaders, etc. Every year I take all my gear and give it a once over. It's a fun way to pass the non-ice time (or the dark ages, as I call them :-) and it ensures you won't have any equipment malfunctions when you tie into the fish of a lifetime.

Do not jump the gun to early by spooling your ice reels with new line. The smaller diameter of the spools on spinning reels can cause line memory, if the line is spooled to early.

I would remove the old line and clean up the reels but wait before respooling. By spooling your line now will not make the ice fishing season come any faster.