• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Few Questions...

HOF#13

Hey guys....just a few questions for ya....

Looking at getting a new shack. I was looking at the Clam-2000 or the Frabill Venture. How are these for 2 adults or 1 adults and 2 smaller children? Also, is there a preference from you guys on either of these. I noticed that the Frabill has more head room, but the Clam has a carpeted floor. Just looking to you guys as I very much value your opinions.

Also, my grandfather gave me a Strikemaster Mora hand auger. How well do they perform? I noticed the blades have a little rust on them, but they feel pretty sharp to the touch.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

There are a lot of houses out there to choose from. The best advice that I can share with you about them is to go someplace where they have them set up. Sit in them with a couple of other people, allow room for you heater, your buckets and any other items you may want to have with you. Find one that you think will work. Then go one size bigger!!! With all the choices out there today it comes down mostly to what you want to spend and how big you want to go.

In regards to your auger I would first change the blades before I even tried to use it. If there is rust on them there is a chance that they may not cut as well as new. Even the dull blades feel sharp to the hands but the new ones are almost like a razor. A set of sharp blades makes the difference between drilling with little effort and becoming tired before you even start to fish.

Good luck,

Jeff Beckwith
Scenic Tackle

IVE GOT A 5600 CLAM AND WITH 2 KIDS,MYSELF AND EQUIPMENT ITS TIGHT BUT COMFORTABLE. MY BUDDY HAS THE 2000 AND THAT WAS GOOD FOR JUST HIM AND I,BUT I WOULDNT WANT TO TRY AND PUT A THIRD PERSON (EVEN A KID) IN THERE, THAT WOULD BE WAY TO CRAMPED. SHAWN

Thanks for the info so far fellas.

Jeff...I will definately get new blades for the auger. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone else out there have any recommendations on a good, light, portable 2-3 man shack? I prefer to stay away from the flip-overs as I like to have a covered floor.

Thanks again!

JAson

Heres a tip, use a flipover shack and make a piece of carpet that has holes for the holes. Then the entire floor is covered and it stays warmer and its still easy to set up. You will need to shovel the ice away from the holes but I do that anyway and I dont fool with the carpet.

My buddy has a shappell 3000dx that works good. He has had it for maybe 8 years. Still catches fish.

I have been using flip over houses now for the past 7 or 8 years. I am using the Polar Double 4 man and really like everything about it. On times that I am fishing with only one other person I will place a chair on the ice and fish along side of the sled. The second person sits in the opposite corner and fishes in front of him/her. When I am fishing with 3 or more people we then drill holes right along side of the sled and place our chairs with the backs against the walls by the doors.

All of my equipment stays in the sled all the time. This is great for those days you want to run and gun. I know I can set this shack up in less time then any other shack I have used in this size.
Jeff Beckwith
Scenic Tackle

I love my Frabil Speedshack XL. Very roomy for 2 adults and all their gear or 1 adult and 2 kids would work out good too. Easiest and quickest big house set-up and Im 6'6" and can stand in it easy. Handles wind great and the materials are all great. Mines on year 10 or so and its still going strong.
Only downfall is its heavy but great if your staying put for a while.