• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Underwater Camera vs Handheld GPS

CSP88

Which would get the most use? I guess you could use both year round but the G.P.S could be used for more than just fishing.
If you go with thw G.P.S better plan on at least eight hours of learning how to use it. Or, if you have acsess to a teenager that would cut the time in half.

I would say it depends on how mobile you are.
If you have certain smaller lakes that you always fish and know them well then I would probably go with the camera.
If you are the adventurous sort and enjoy exploring new water then I would definately get a GPS.

I would ask first if you already have some sort of fish locating device like a flasher or lcd. If so then i would say go for the gps. However if you dont have a flasher or anything like it go for the camera. You can always look at a lakemap to find spots but if you dont have a way to tell if fish are there you might as well not go.
><>deadeye

I agree with Matt. I have an Aqua Vu and while it is HIGHLY entertaining, I can honestly say it has not helped me find fish. One I have found them, it has opened up a whole new world. I have been able to get even the most finicky fish to bite. I also found that I was getting a ton of hits from bluegills that I never felt rolleyes.gif I could sit and jig for panfish for hours and never get bored.

Having said that, I think a GPS would be a better tool. Once you've located fish or structure during your open water scouting trips, you can mark the spot and be sure to drill on top of that rock pile or sunken Christmas tree on the first shot smile.gif

I would go with the GPS. The GPS is a very good tool to have for fishing, all outdoor sports for that matter. And with all the new technology out there you are plot points from lake maps onto your GPS right from the computer. Plan your day while you're sitting at home on your computer, and then download it onto your GPS. You can also download the actual lake map onto your GPS and have a visual while out on the ice/water.

An underwater camera is nice to have, but not essential. A GPS will allow you to not only keep a record of structure or contours, but it also keeps track of where you caught fish and that can be a huge factor in patterning the fish, especially for ice fishing.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

[This message has been edited by Matt Johnson (edited 09-16-2004).]

I had a Garmin 176 and I LOVED it. I sold it with my last boat though frown.gif It might be overkill for your part of the country, but I used it in my boat, it was really nice to be able to have all my spots marked and be able to take it with me in other people's boats. It had a bright screen and a fast processor so that when I was easing up to a rockpile it updated instantaneously (Not all do that). I had the charts that covered all of the areas I fished as well as the streetmaps so I could use it in the car. It ran for hours on AA batteries. I'm really thinking about another one for the winter, I still have all my ice fishing spots saved on my computer grin.gif

I just picked up a new Lowrance iFinder H2O this spring/summer. I had the older iFinder and liked it, but I like this one even better. It is waterproof, compact, and I can use my electronic charts in it. It makes finding the marked structures on Lake Champlain easier. I believe they make Great Lakes charts and other midwest lake charts as well.

[This message has been edited by Bob_D (edited 09-18-2004).]

I would say that if it's a first purchase,and you do other outdoor things, then go with the GPS. You would be able to use it for hunting, etc. The camera is nice and you can learn a great deal about fish behavior while using it, but you would probably get more use out of the GPS. Just my thoughts.
Dustin