• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I Got A Dilema

O.k. guys& gals bear with me on this. One of my coworkers has a real nice Lund Tyee Gran-Sport 1750 Loaded with a 150 Merc and a 9.9 Merc F.S. kicker, auto-pilot etc. I'm guessing around a 2003 model?. The boat has only been in the water about 3 or 4 times. Anyway..3 years ago late in the fall he asked If I would store it in my garage for the weekend till he could get it winterized. Well, he never came and got it so I ended up storing it in my garage the whole winter. In the spring I took it out and parked it in my yard..till fall! Then the next winter came and I told him I couldn't store it for him inside this year. It sat outside till spring, same thing the next year. So here it is, coming 3 years now in a couple weeks and the guy still has not layed eyes on the boat since he brought it out. Today I looked it over and noticed that all this time the plug was in and the boat had about 150 gallons of water in it.(up to the top of the battery in fact!)(there is a cover on it) I sort of feel responsible for not finding that out sooner but on the other hand how much responsibility do I have for a boat that's not mine? (I haven't recieved any compensation for storing the boat by the way. I have told him several times to come and get the boat that I don't have room for it and he doesn't seem to care. I guess I am at a loss, being a fisherman myself I am just sickened to sit and watch this beautiful boat basically rotting away in my yard! I can't afford to buy it otherwise I would just to keep it from deteriorating any further. Anyway to make a short story long, what to do?? This is my dilema....NAMA

Did he leave you the keys grin Probably better for the boat to get it out a few times a year rather than just sitting there.

Sitting that long with water it in probably didn't do it much good. Very least the floor is gonna be soggy. Sad that he just doesn't have interest his boat. Sweet ride too.

Pull the plug, let it drain, take the cover off of it and let it dry out real real good.

As stated, looks like you just got yourself a new boat. It's a darn shame but apparnetly for what ever reason the owner does not care that much about it.

Worst case scenario, if you have to get rid of it, hook it up and take it to his place. Unhook it and drive away.

Darn shame all around.

Yes, don't use it unless you have insurance.

Send him a letter with the total for storage and etc and a final date for pickup. Keep copy of letter for your records. Next year contact DNR/DMV and obtain new titles, boat will be yours due to abandonment. You've got yourself a nice boat. In fact contact DNR and ask them if you can already claim abandonment, since it's been 3 years now.

BTW, open the cover and take plug off, it's a 5 minute job and it will save a lot of hassled on both parties.

If you have interest in the boat, if the abondonment thing doesn't work. The letter with storage fees is a good idea, add some other misc. totals to it. Tell him that is the down payment and offer a really low price on the boat. Storage + 2k , or something like that. Who knows, maybe he wants to get rid of it. Is this guy a good friend of yours? I wouldn't want to weasle a good friend, but if this guy doesn't mean anything to you go for the boat. Or offer to sell it for him, ask how much he wants then tell him you will take storage out of that. Good luck on this one.

I had something similar with my brothers stupid mustang. I hate that car and am soo happy it is gone!!!!

If it had that much water in it over winter, it may very well have a leaky hull or a buckled floor... Ice moves a lot of aluminum very easily.

If you can't afford it I'd take it to his place and drop it off... end of dilemna...

marine_man

I'm with some of the other guys go for claiming it as your own due to abandonment. Call an attorney and get a free phone consult just to make sure you get all your I's dotted and T's crossed. Run past the part about the plug/H2O also, if that is how is was brought to ya, what were you to do?

Thanks for all the input guys, I guess the main concern I have is that the guy is sort of a friend of mine and a coworker for the last 10 years. I guess I will just have to sit down with him and try to fiquire something out, who knows maybe he'll just drop off the title!! That would be pretty sweet! It's going to take a whole weekend to get the thing water worthy again in the condition it's in right now. There is mold and funk growing on all the vinyl now and it's super dirty and dusty as well as the water problems. With all the water that was in it the carpet has gas and oil residue in it and all the wiring in the back of the boat was submerged for lord knows how long!! Sure is a shame!! Thanks again!!

I would tell him in a letter that he has a set amount of time to come and get the boat or you will after the date agreed upon consider it to be your legal property. Have him sign and date the letter, if he doesnt come and get the boat, you got yourself a boat legally..

My opinion.... You work with the guy. Tell him to come get or take it to him. You are not responsible for keeping someone's boat unless you want to. I'm not an attorney, but I would find it highly improbable that you could claim this rig as your boat. Even if you could, such action surly would be a minefield of problems.

Just call the police or your lawyer to find out what the actual laws are. Know for a fact what you can and can't do before you do anything other than tell him to come and get it. If you tell him to get it out of your place then you will know what your rights are, and then if he says he is going to take you to court you will know that what you did was right and he will have no recourse, other than having to work with you.

I would tell him he needs to come get it within a week or you are hooking up to it and dropping it in the parking lot at work. full of water and moldy isnt something I would want to deal with.

I store random vehicles at a friends house from time to time. there is usually some type of agreement and or compensation off the start. BUT when he calls and says my junk needs to move, im there within 48hrs.

I vote with the guy who suggested that there is something afoot here. Can you do a title check and see if the guy even really owns it? Divorce and he's been hiding it? Who walks away from a $5, $10, $15, $20K rig? I also don't think you can say the word 'abandonment' three times, click your heels and it's yours. The storage facility places go through all sorts of hoops to get rid of the junk people walk away from. If you want it spend a couple hun and get a lawyer to tell you how to do it correctly.