• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hooking plastics

augernaut

Matt - I've been rigging that way too, but I've seen guys use them on a teardrop, rigged wacky style. Another thing I've heard is that the tail has to be horizontal, or the fish won't hit - have you ever noticed that? With your ratsos and shrimpos, do you ever tip them, or do you always fish them w/o bait?

Thats a good observation. I agree, keeping the plastic horizontal is key at times. If you sight fish a lot you will know what I mean. Those gills and crappies definitely prefer the plastic to be horizontal, not only because it closely resembles there food, but it also ups your hooking percentage. Next time you are sight fishing watch when the bluegill takes the bait, it will take it head first, tail first, from the side...but when it hits it tail first on a horizontal presentation your hooking percentage is much better. It can be frustrating to watch a nice 10 inch gill inhale the head of your jig only to spit it out without a hookset because its no where near the hook. The finesse tail is what triggers them to strike, and a gill will almost always atleast take a taste on that little morsel.

I have however done well on Shrimpos with the tail at an angle half way between vertical and horizontal.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

Maybe this has been discussed somewhere else - if so, sorry for reposting...

Later last year I began using more plastics for panfish through the ice - just curious to hear your favorite ways of rigging, and your favorite brands/styles. Do you t-bone rig, or thread them on like a worm, or hook them once in the end, or what? What type of jig do you like for fishing them?

Good topic augernaut!

I like to use a lot of the finesse plastics by Custom Jigs n Spins. The Ratso's and Shrimpo's are excellent, and the way they are pre-rigged are a pretty typical way to rig successfully. I also use ISG (Innovative Sports Group) plastics as well, and they can be rigged very similar to the Ratso's and Shrimpo's plastics, or else you can "wacky rig" (T-bone) them too. Some of those finesse tails provide some awesome action and will trigger a lot of strikes without livebait.

Some of those noodle plastics were hot items last winter and I predict they will be again this year.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever