• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strange noise, what was it???

96trigger

I was out hunting last night and walking in to my stand I busted up a heard of deer bedded down by it. (not a bedding area, normally, but with the corn in the fields, they were there anyway). Anyhow, I snuck in and could still hear things behind me. Anyhow, about an hour later I could hear something to the west of me. It sounded like a raspberry, you know, when you put your lips together and blow. It was wierd, the sound kept getting closer but eventually disappeard. A little while later some turkeys came through behind me. Any idea what this was, it really sounded like something was passing some juicey gas, but it was quick like a grunt, yet, not a grunt I have ever heard. Wish I could have seen what it was.

Can't imagine turkeys making a noise anything like that. Sound like a horse blow? Any of those critters around?

Could have been big foot I guess...halloween is near.

I don't think it was the turkeys. Wasn't a horse, honestly, I have been the woods for 20 years and never heard it. I am thinking it was a deer making the noise. It made the noise often enough that I got a good listen to it. It sounded like a grunt, but it wasn't a normal grunt. Very weird. It definitely was getting closer to. It went from being a couple of hundred yards away, to I would say as close as 50 yards. I thought for sure that it was a buck checking his scrapes, but alas, never got a look.

Does and fawns will also give off very strange "screeches", like in the case if they are split up or frightened. Kind of like a cross between a pelican, cormorant and a heron, and quite loud. It's got an erie pitch to it, almost like they about to be murdered or something.

Sohaad, thats what you get from seperating those deer from thier mother so abruiptly with a pointy stick grin Be fun to take out one of those high intensity microphones and record the sounds to play back. There are some pretty eerie things that sound off every so often. Could be the ghosts just practicing for the big night out too wink

Tunrevir~

Well, I broke up a small group of bedded down deer when I walked in, maybe it was a fawn that got separated. Or maybe it was a really odd sort of grunt, thats what I was thinking. Heck, it could have been a raccoon. I like to think it was a buck, but I've come to learn that when you hear someting that close, if its a deer, you can usually get some kind of visual on it. I never even came close.