• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fire Line or Spider Wire or Mono

Kaz

For what it's worth. I've used fireline with a 6ft mono leader on all my Ice reels for the past two years. This year I'm switching back to all mono. Fireline retains water and freezes on my reels. I don't use bobbers but if you do, I would image you will have problems. Should also say that I fish outside, no shelter, and only go into my fishtrap to thaw myself out. If you're going to be inside then you may not have the same problems I have

------------------

[This message has been edited by Kidd (edited 09-20-2004).]

I used power pro last year and fireline the 2 previous and the old trilene all the time before that. This is what I have found. I will never use mono again for anything. From now on I will be using power pro. I used the 10/3 for all my walleye fishing summer and winter. I used 6/2 fireline for all my panfishing. The key is to learn how hard to set like mentioned it doesn't take much to set the hook but I feel it is something that you get used to and after a little time you just know what is right. I don't miss the days of coiled mono at all. I use the super lines on my set line and jigging. The only think that I had problems with was using bobbers a standard bobbler knot will slip on it so I switched to the dog bone type with the little holes in the end and theny you wrap the line around the stop and through the other hole. I know that I have lost far few fish with power pro that ever before with mono. Plus I don't break off as much. I used to loose a lot of tackle but ever since I switch it has went way down.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com

I have tried the no-strech lines with and without a mono and flouro leader and can't stand the stuff. Maybe it is because of the multiple walleyes that have torn off while fishing that stuff. No strech is a bad deal with 20' of line out and a 30" rod.

I like the P-line Flouroclear. It works like Vanish claims to work without the knot problems.

Kaz,

For what it's worth, all my walleye gear (winter, summer) is spooled with 8/3 fireline. I find it the best all around line. I switch my reels back and forth from summer rods, to winter rods. Works great for LOTW walleyes.

I landed a 30+ lb Jack fish this summer on it, so it's pretty strong. Any line will cut like butter if it gets in the teeth though.

question for those of you who use the super lines. why use the superline if you add mono to the end? Seems to me this defeats the purpose of using superlines. as the old saying goes" the chain is only as stronge as the weakest link". and the mono would then snap before the supers, with some using as much as 10 feet of mono on the end. I have been using 6lb XL on my summer and 4lb on the winter setups, seems to work great and I have landed 6+lb fish on the 4lb line. My only experience with fireline, was lake trout fishing last year. was a pain kept freezing up and hard to wind.

O

For fall walleyes wading I am convinced that fireline has helped me catch more fish. The sensitivity is incredible and it's very durable. I would like to try the Power Pro to give that a whirl. I have caught so many eyes on this spool of 8 lb. fireline I can't even count I am starting year 3 with the same spool. I always spray reel magic all over my reel and guides to keep things clear and in good working order. I use 8lb. Fireline on my walleye crank bait rod which is a 7' and I use 6 lb. fireline on my 6' jigging rod. I get the oocasional birds nest but I take my time and not just yank on it and you can get the knots out and be fine. I fish an area that's pretty sandy and does not have a lot of rock. Fireline pretty much set's itself and a gentle flick of wrist is all you need to bed those trebles. Fantastic line.

Dan, I just use the same knot I tie my jigs with. I'll start the knot on my fireline and leave a big loop, then I'll tie my mono around and through the fireline using that same knot, then pull them tight to each other. It might not be the best way to do it but so far I have not had any problems