• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rifle opener

Our group is just about done... one tag yet to fill next weekend perhaps.

iffwalleyes shot a nice, wide 3X3 that had a bunch of broken off points, I shot a smaller 3X4 and my brother got a decent doe.

Still didn't see a lot of deer though, I'm certain all the standing corn didn't help things much. I would say there was little progress on the corn harvest in the area we hunt.

marine_man

Get your deer this weekend... sounds like no second season / extension is planned:

Deer hunters in northeastern North Dakota won't get a second season.

Game and Fish Department officials say they discussed the possibility of a second deer gun season to help thin the deer population but decided against it.

Assistant Wildlife Division Chief Greg Link the department was told some farmers might not get their corn harvested until late December or next spring. He says there's no guarantee a second season will improve hunter's success.

The state's deer gun season ends this weekend.

Information from: KNOX-AM, http://knoxradio.com (Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

Our group----all non-res---- went last wed. through sat. to NE ND and went 19 for 20(bad shooting on sat night or we would have gotten 20). First time in 5 years our group of 6 got buck tags(2) and we filled them on thurs. nice 11 point and so-so 8 point. weather sucked and deer movement was sporadic at best and saw 25% of the deer we saw last year......corn!!!. Every morning on the drive in you would see the deer piling into the corn fields. Had a blast and we will be back again next year. Thanks ND

jeff

Jason and Rob, congrats! Good luck this weekend, Jason.

I hunted last night and once last week with my bow. I had deer by me both times, but nothing big enough to shoot this time of year. One small buck would have been in big trouble in another month or so.

Just like everyone else, there's a HUGE cornfield near where I hunted and I think it's loaded with deer. I sure wish conditions would allow for that bugger to get combined. I really wish I could be there when it got combined...

Scoot, I feel your pain with all the corn, but the one good thing about it all still being up is that there are a lot of deer in those fields that haven't been pressured like normal years. There is a very large field right next to one of the places I bowhunt in ND and I have talked to the farmer and he is going to give me a call a few days before he takes that field.

I still have my bow tags for both sides of the river and I'm looking forward to some late season hunting. It should be very good once most of the fields get cut.

Yep, I'm the exact same boat as you- I've got two tags in hand and hope to fill at least one of them. However, I'm not exactly sure when I'll get to get out to try fill them- tough with two little ones and the holidays coming.

Filled my Doe tag this weekend no more bucks for us this weekend. Got plenty of shooting in just couldn't connect. To bad you can't shoot in the headlights. Saw a 2 really nice 4X4 each morning on the drive out. But I guess 6:30 am is a little too early to be shooting. My wife says on her drive to work the last two days she has seen very nice bucks. She thinks we were hunting in the wrong area. I guess I would have to aggree since we didn't get filled out this weekend. All and all it was one of my best season of hunting and worst all in the same year. We didn't see anywhere near the numbers we are used to seeing. So we had less opportunity to be picky about what we shot. The deer we got we had to work our tails off. It really makes you appreciate the years where thing are a little easier. But we did get some nice deer through out the course of the season. My buck I shot last weekend is probably the biggest body deer I have ever shot not the biggest rack though. One thing I think though next year there should be alot of nice bucks running around. That corn this year really worked to there favor. Most of our deer came from places where corn was near by. If that hadn't been there the numbers would be up.

Good luck to everyone that is still chasing with bow or muzzle loader. I am putting my gear away for deer hunting. Might try to get a pheasant hunt in this fall yet. What do you think Marine Man is Charlie ready to run a little bit?

Oh, I think so... the trick will be trying to squeeze it in with ice fishing!marine_man

If you two meet up on the ice some time this winter and have room for one extra guy, shoot me an e-mail- I'd love to run out and fish with you guys again.

Will do. See biggest problem with all that is I have joined that elite group the two of you are in. That is the Married life. I am going to be planning bring my house back this weekend and would like to drop it on Jamestown will see what work allows.

See biggest problem with all that is I have joined that elite group the two of you are in. That is the Married life.

You poor bugger! What were you thinking??? Next think ya know you'll be havin' kids... then you might as well sell your fishing and hunting gear...

In all seriousness, congrats! Rob mentioned you were gettin' hitched- good for you. I hope married life treats you well.

No complains by me it has been great. But I am adjusting to the not just doing whatever I feel like and when ever I feel like routine. I have actually been at home off the road for a bit so I am discovering what it is actually like.