• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Held Sonar - What do you think? Yes or No

Down Deep

I have the Marcum LXi. I use it a ton when moving to a spot checking depth readings thru the ice trying to find break line w/o having to punch holes. I use to use my flasher, but It was more bulky to tote around and didn't want to put extra wear/tear on the transducer.

If you use if for this purpose, make sure you pack a jug of water. Makes a huge difference for getting a good reading. Clear the snow down to the ice, poor water on the ice to form a small puddle, put the sonar on the wet spot to get reading before it freezes. Typically works pretty well.

I picked mine up used for $90, so it was worth it for me.

I have one and it works well early in the season and also on holes that are freshly froze over. Like NCLaker I also bring a small bottle of salted water for the purpose. I use salt so it doesn't freeze as fast or stick to the ice. Once the ice gets too thick or if the ice is white and cloudy then it won't work. It's a nice tool. I thought about selling mine since I have a flasher. But I do find it useful. I have the Polar Vision. I would buy a Marcum is I had the choice again.

I use a handheld sonar at times, like the others say early ice or clear ice is when they work the best.

I use mine a lot on early ice when I have my hand auger with me. I hate to be drilling extra holes with the hand auger, and I hate to be carrying around a flasher and the hand auger at the same time. So the handheld sonar works great for that.