• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Loading Ice Shack

ivegottabite

I am wondering how some of you guys get your shacks(portables) into the back of your trucks if you're alone. I don't like to unload my gear and reload it again. I see that they have aluminum ramps for 4wheelers but those are more than what I need. Has anyone tried making wood plank style ramps?? If so how did/do they work for you??

[This message has been edited by ivegottabite (edited 09-12-2004).]

I have an otter lodge. it gets pretty heavy with gear. i take the gas auger out and the propane tank, then lift the front end onto the tail gate then climb into the bed and pull it in, it works for now, but i will have to look for an easier way when i get a little older.

I have a fish trap II (I think - older 2 man model).

I put the lip on the front of the sled up on the tail gate, then get behind it, lift the back and slide it in. This is without the auger on it.

Not an easy feat, but it works. The tail gate of my truck is higher than most. I haven't taken a digger on the ice yet, but it's coming one of these days. It's not bad when there's snow or I'm in a parking area - just when I'm on the ice and it's totally smooth and/or wet.

I'd like to add some stuff to the tub, better seating, storage, a spot to store my Vexilar. But I'm afraid the weight will get to be unmanageable.

I used to do that tailgait method with my frabil triplex, until one night when I ended up being pinned underneath it. I was lucky enough to get out from under it without too many people seeing it, suprising, it went in really fast and easy after that. Now I bring my atv and trailer and pull it on the trailer then to the tailgate, not such a high lift. I thought about the ramp idea after that episode, but I already have the trailer so I use that.

30 inch eyes I never thought about getting pinned under the house. That could wreck my bad knee worse than ever and put an early end to my season AGAIN. I really don't need that.

I'm going to try to think up a better way this year - some thing light and easy. Maybe I'll try the method of standing in the box & pulling it up.

As I was reading this, I came up with a idea for the ones with a open box. Why not put a boat winch in one corner of the bow then a some how put a pully in the middle of the box. If you can lift the front of the house on the tail gate then you can winch it the rest of the way. I'm going to work on that idea this year.

[This message has been edited by Nutty Fisherman (edited 09-13-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Nutty Fisherman (edited 09-13-2004).]