• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
bassislife

fl-20's

Is it worth getting the fl-20 or just staying with a fl-18? I was thinking about selling the fl-18 I have right now and buying a fl-20. Does the flat screen on the fl-20 scratch? Thanks for any info.

The flat screen is a great thing on snowy days. The other advantage is the zoom levels on the 20 are down to 6ft and 12ft. If you can get enough money for your 18 I would do it. Otherwise they are pretty much the same and work as well as the 20's. You are missing out on one or two things, but I don't think those things are worth a large chunk of change to upgrade. I sold my 18 to get a 20, but I got my 20 discounted so it was a wash. Both GREAT tools, and I prefer them over any other flashers out there. As far as scratching goes I beat mine up pretty good and have not noticed any scratches.

I use my fl20 pretty hard and there are no scratches I've had it for one season now and wouldn't trade the flat screen for anything

Mine travels from the boat, to the ice, and back to the boat agian come open water.

Been back and forth 3 seasons now, looks like new. Very handy tool on the boat as they can be seen from a much wider viewing angle than the old bean can style displays.

I'll stick with the flat displays from now on. I may update the displays to the new Cool Blue conversion, other than that I'm sold on the new Vexilar 12's and 20's.

I have and 18 and a 20. I kept the 18 as a spare in case I go out with someone that doesn't have one.

IMHO, If you got some money burning a hole in your pocket then get the 20. Otherwise stick with the 18. Most of the additional feature are nice to haves but won't make a huge difference for improving your success on the ice.

The benefits of the 20 that I have found:

(1) Best feature I like is the night mode that dims the intensity of the display. Big help on reducing eye strain when fishing at night for long periods of time.

(2) Flat screen does keep snow from collecting, but you can accomplish the same thing with the mag cover for the 18

(3) Flat screen has a wider viewing angle - helpful if showing someone how to use a flasher.

(4) Comes with a new "automatic" charger. Older vex chargers did not have that feature (2-3 years or older). Small convinience.

(5) Additional zoom level of 12', not a big deal if most of your fishing is the 20' range.

Hope this helps ... good luck with the decision.

I need to know what the cool blue conversion is?

An upgrade?

Blue Light Conversion

New Vexilar FL Series Flashers packages, or reconditioned packages, are now available direct from Vexilar with Blue light Conversion, or you may get your older unit upgraded.

(See Vex web site for picture of new Blue Light display colors)

Have your FL Series Flasher colors converted to the new unique look of Cool Blue. The bright red color stays the same, but green and orange are replaced with vibrate Blue and Purple. Great for giving a striking change to the way your flasher looks. It's also great for those who are color blind and have never been able to see the colors do what they are meant to do.

The Blue Light Conversion is available for these models...

* FL-8*

* FL-8SLT

* FL-8se

* FL-12

* FL-18

* FL-20

*Blue Light Conversion is only compatible with Vexilar FL-8s with serial numbers of 800000 or higher.

How to Get the Blue Light Conversion

for Your Unit.

Send Vexilar your flasher and payment of $59.00. Included in this fee is the conversion and a complete unit check-up. Vexilar tech's look your entire system over to find any potential problems like worn brushes, circuit problems, or a weak transducer. If anything looks to be a problem, Vexilar will contact you to see if you want to take care of the problem now.

Unit will need to be sent to: Vexilar, Inc.(See Vex web site for service dept address and detils.)

Good post NCLaker. I agree with pretty much everything you said .... except that I really hated looking through the mag cover on the FL-8 and never used it. But other than that I agree, some nice features with the FL-20 and the flat-screen.

cool blue

it's only cosmetic, i might still have to do it also just to be different from everyone i fish with

Cosmetic if you do not have color blindness issues, but if you do...it opens up the whole on ice electronics world to many who whom couldn't utilize it fully before.

And if nifty Cool Blue LED lights turn you on...it's just plain Sweet!