• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chessie pup decided the grouse was his lunch!

grousehunter

I was out grouse hunting today and was having a great time. I flushed a lot of grouse and shot my first one. The dog brought me the bird, but did not want to let go of it. I praised him when he brought it to me and let him hold his prize for a while and then made him hand it over.

Later on I shot my first true double on ruffed grouse and was really excited. My dog picked up the first bird and then went for the second with the first grouse in his mouth. He was about 25 yards away and just sat over both of them on the ground and would not bring either to me. I went towards him and I picked one up and he ran away with the other. I put the one in my vest and walked the other way from him hoping he would follow. He just kept looking at me and then ran away further. I tried to convince him to bring me the bird but he wouldnt for about 5 minutes.

so...I decided to run way since that normally makes him follow. he did not and ended up eating almost the whole thing by the time I got back to him. He kept running away and I did not want to chase him. Finally I chased him down and got a 80 percent eating bird away from him. I called it a day even though I just found a really good new spot and drove home.

My question is how do I fix this? I do not want to bring him hunting any more and was very upset with him. He is 5 months old and I do not want this to become a habit. He has retrieved quite a few grouse for me this year and this is the first time he has done any thing like this. Should I just not hunt him anymore this year and force fetch him once he is done teething and hope it doesn't happen next year? Should I go by myself and freeze a bird and work with him on a check cord?

I guess this is a great reason to make sure obedience is very good before taking a pup hunting. I have learned my lesson and would appreciate any tips to cure this issue. I would love to keep taking him out because he is great and always hunts hard and normally listens very well. I like him to get the experience, but not if he is going to destroy the birds I shoot. Thanks!

Blake

I think you answered your own question. You are asking a lot from a puppy that is that young.

I tried once to run a check cord in a cattail slough and i can't imagine running one in a popple (sp?) thicket. Good luck, next year will be much better.

Invest in an E-Collar

That is a very dangerous route to take. Stimulating a dog that young with a bird in his mouth could ruin him. If the dog thinks the bird is hurting him like that he may never mouth another bird. E-collars are not the cure all. Sounds like the pup needs to learn basic commands before being let loose. I would have a check cord on the pup. (I know they are not fun in the woods, but either is losing your pup)

i had the same problem with my pup at that age. She would try to play keep away from me when playing fetch. I would first make what is called a fetching corridor. The one i made was about 10 foot wide and about 15 yards long. i would play fetch with my pup in that and she couldnt run off on me. Make it fun for your dog and that will help. i used some snow fence to make it. I would then invest in a E-collar. Using a e collar is not a bad thing as long as you know what you are doing. Make sure the dog knows his commands before using stimulation. If the dog knows what sits means and the dog doesnt want to sit i would first use the vibate feature on the collar and then if the dog still doesnt listen use the stimulate. I would use a low setting on the controll bc you do not want to over stimulate the dog.

I am sorry maybe I should have said - invest in an e-collar and train it with the e-collar. I did not mean put it on the dog and go right out with it. Although, getting an e-collar with a vibrating feature can do wonders. I have maybe "shocked" my dog two times - other then that just a vibration (feels like a cell phone on vibrate) perks her ears up and gets attention.

I once heard Chessie's can be extremely tough to train - but have no first hand knowledge.

We should'nt be talking about an e-collar. Just back it up, start over. Basic comands and yard training should be done before a young dog is expected to listen in the field... For the retieving thing try this...Get a gouse and freeze it whole, or take the wings off one and tie them on a retrieving dummy. Then find youself a hallway. Close all the doors so the only way out is back where he came from and where you are.. Then play some fetch. I would even start with a ball then move up to the bird. Use a check cord if you need to. When he brings back what you have thrown make a total fuss over him like he's the greatest thing that ever lived.. The hallway thing will make sure there are no distractions and he can focus on you and the task at hand. I used this technique on one of my setters which are not known as retrievers and turned her into a freak about fetching. Just something I made up years back that worked wonders. Good luck..uplander

i would think playing fetch with a check cord, and a dead bird would help solve this. throw dead bird, command dog to fetch/retrieve, and then reel him in with lots of praise when he gets back to you.

then also work on the drop command and go from there.

I also agree to not assoiciate an e-collar with live birds.

its still early your dog is young, just dont over do it and keep the sessions short (just a couple retrieives) always try to end on a good note and keep that dog wanting to retrieve that bird FOR YOU more and more.