• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many sit all Day??

Tmrw will be my first all day sit. The temperature isn't ideal but it'll be November and that alone justifies to me the necessity to hunt all day. I will be splitting my time between two stands though and have to move a trail cam. For whatever reason if I don't see deer it'll give me more incite on Sunday's stand selection.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On opening day I sit in my stand all day long without getting off. I don't have anything fancy just your typical portable stand. I don't know how to explain how I do it other than I like to be in my stand during the time when a lot of hunters are heading out for lunch break, and the fact that it is opening day motivates me to stay all day long in the same spot because I think you increase your chances of shooting a deer the longer you stay in the woods in one spot without moving, and when the rut is on deer can be moving all day long. One time I shot a nice 8-point right around lunchtime when people are normally moving around.

I also sit in a portable all day on opener. I mentally cut the day in quarters to keep me in it. 1/2 hour befor sunrise to about 10 or so opener itself keeps me in there. About 10 I grab a snack and drink and hope others are moving around now and this is the time to stay put. I eat and drink again at noon, and remeber that I could be at work instead. From early afternoon on I eat something at the top of each hour, at about 3 till close I am motivated again about being in there for "prime time". It can be a bit tough at times, but it has paid off for me. My largest deer came at 1:30 in the afternoon. I also got a nice 10pt at 12:00 noon one year. Good Luck all!

I would just love to sit all day just never have. I am always kicking myself when i am in eating lunch wondering what could be walking by. I am hoping to do it this year I have a nice ground blind that looks down a power line thinking it should be comfy enough to last all day.

Pack a small novel. I am picking up "Deception Point" by Dan Brown right where I left off last year when I was so rudely interrupted by the crunch of leaves under hooves.

I got half that book read in two days.

My first 2-3 hours on opening day I'm pyscho, slowly turning towards every noise (which generally means each red squirrel). Eventually I slow down and eat something. Then I try and go into deep thought...what are my life goals, what are my short term goals, what are my long term goals, how can i become a better person, what new thing do I want to try...It sounds corny and you probably think I'm joking but deep thought can keep you alert and thinking for a couple more hours.

By now it's usually lunch time. I break out lunch and relax for thirty minutes. Now is probably the time that I might miss seeing a deer, but I generally hear them before I see them, so it's a wash.

Later as the lunch makes me sleepy I get the book out. It has to be a book that won't put you to sleep. Find something that interests you.

You've had enough book, it's mid-afternoon and the sun is going to set in 2-4 hours. Now you kind of get your second wind and wait for something to come in. What's your strategy tomorrow? What wildlife did I see today? What's the weather supposed to do? How is everyone else doing (rhetorical)? What's for dinner?

By now you're less than an hour from sunset and it's getting colder and watching the woods go to bed is fascinating.

There, you made it. One whole day. Oh boy the way, you didn't see any deer. Time to move to another stand.

Another idea is to send text messages. You can't use text messages to hunt (i.e. Hey Dan...buck heading your way), but you can share your hunt with others. Be sure to keep the noise off. I learned this trick last year too.

Good topic!! I've sat on stand all day twice in my life - they were the longest days of my life!!! Both times were during slug hunting, I was on ground stands, had a lunch, but it was a long day both times!!! Of course it didn't help that I saw very few deer.

Been thinking about trying it again some year during an early Nov bowhunt but even though I have about 8 different stands, I'm not sure which one I'd be confident enough in to sit all day. Need to think this through and maybe try it next year, improve the comfort of the most likely stands, and see what I see on an all day sit.

I usually don't have problem sitting on the treestand all day. You just have to keep yourself busy.

I usually sit and glance the first couple hours of the morning (1st prime time). Then boil me a couple of tea/coffee/soup something to warm me up.. After being all warmed up again, i would glance and play my PSP. Noon time, i would cook lunch basically something in a can. After lunch some more glancing and playing on the PSP. Last 3 hours of day light (2nd prime time) i would sit still and glance until sunset (no more PSP).

Well, thats what i usually plan for every year because i don't know when the big buck would show up. But last year i didn't get the chance to do that. Shot my 10 point buck after having a warm cup of soup (11am). =D