• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How many sit all Day??

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the same way as you two, can make it about 4 to 5 hours then just have to move around, usually will walk to other area or take a break. Had a great uncle who could do the all day-er even into his 80's out before 5am and back after 5pm, tough ol' bird

I sit all day sometimes. It depends on what is going on. If you are going to do this, my first, second and third pieces of advice are all the same....bring something for when nature calls. Picture this; you are up 16 feet in a tree with multiple deer laying/sleeping around you so you really can't get out. Nature calls. Nature screams. Nature insists that it is time. You do not have an empty bottle. Hmmm. All morning you have been coming up with ideas and the only one remotely feasible is your sandwich baggy. Sitting behind your computer, you are thinking that takes talent. But add in the layers of cold and the fact that Mr. Winkie does not like the cold and I think it was a gold medal performance.

My other trick is this, when you wanna climb down, think would I rather be working or would I rather be here.....that makes it pretty easy to stay awhile longer.

I try to sit as long as I can which is usually about 4 or 5 hours, usually about 10am I need to move a little....I will then move to a stand I have along the edge of a field for awhile before heading in...

I sit all day during gun season and alot bow hunting. Just need a comfy stand. I use a climber and ladder stands. Have something to drink and eat and your good to go.

Just whiz right out of the stand. I've never had a bad reaction from taking a whiz out of the stand. Heck I've whized in scrapes and they still get used.

I've heard that whitetails can't distinguish between different types of urine.

I'm pretty weather dependant as well, if it's real cold I will get up earlier than most and walk back to the truck, drink some coffee and then get back into my stand ASAP so I can be waiting when everyone else gets cold and pushes deer around. On warm days I will often still till 1 or so (with a little walk in there) so I can take advantage of people going back in for lunch....

CodyDawg, thats rather impressive....the baggie thing....

My brother is one that can do that. I have yet to figure out how. In fact, his tree stand is so small that he can't sit down and so must remain standing on his feet! He walks in and out with a flashlight in hand.

I know one thing for sure. He definitely takes more deer than anyone I know.

Bob

I sit all day in my box stand no roof or windows just a swivle seat. I just dont look at the watch and keep thinking to myself about the guys getting out of their stand around 10 and then a group at 12 and then the group coming back in around 2. those are three sets of times that I really pay attention around then.

Wish I could sit all day -- I just can't. I go in a eat lunch during - -what I have heard, the best time of the day -- 10 am to 2 p.m.

A guy told me he saw a guy leave his stand at about 11am and then he saw a huge buck get up in cat tails right after he left. They went over and those cat tails were 50 yards from where he was.

Figures.

I do sit all day but I usually wait for late bow season, opening day rifle or when I see a lot of action in the morning. It is not alwasy easy but mid day can be some great hunting. Like others have said make sure to pack a lunch, pee bottle, and tp just in case. I also don't think that human urine scares the deer but I still go in a bottle to cut down on the noise.

And sometimes if you just can't take it anymore I like to take a little walk or go sit in another stand for a little while and walk back, it can help break up the day and get the blood pumping.

Here is a couple of tricks I tried last year that I came up with for helping to be able to sit all day.

1 Bring a small book along to read Preferably about hunting stories or something else of manly nature.(NO MAGS)

2nd Buy some of those self adhesive body warmers or heat pads and stick one onto your first layer over your heart area and believe it or not your fingers and toes wont get cold nearly as easy. I also use a hand muff and throw a couple warmers in there and if it's really cold out I use the toe warmers too.

Whatever you do don't waste your money on those FIRE PODS I bought one for Ripley this last weekend and they are junk!!!

And I almost forgot breakdown and buy a comfy stand you wont be sorry and dress in layers.

If you can't sit very long then just stay at camp until 9 or so and then sit between 10 and 2 because the records show most of the big bucks were shot between those times.

I made it to noon once. I have an all day hunt planned for thurs. and fri. Hope I can make it. I am pretty far back in the woods so I guess I have to.

I'm taking a canoe down river so some very isolated land this weekend, I'm thinking that should keep me on the stand all day.

I am in the stand from 4am to past dark. I never get down. Let me tell you when you only see a couple deer it can be a long day. Thanks to my Summit Viper climber I am relatively comfortable. I like to buy a lottery ticket before I get up there, that way I can dream of all the stuff I can buy when I win. That usually takes 3-4 hours.

I like to buy a lottery ticket before I get up there, that way I can dream of all the stuff I can buy when I win. That usually takes 3-4 hours.

It's amazing what a guy can think of on stand when the hunt is slow. I think one time I came up with a cure to cancer, the longer lasting light bulb, I would open my own restraunt, yadda, yadda, yadda. My list is endless.

I try and sit all day. I have had more opportunities at deer during mid day when everyone else is moving out of the woods for lunch or doing drives. It is difficult though.

One thing I dont do is take a walk around the woods, dont want to spread my scent around anymore than what it already is.