• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tigers

Cooter

I just read that most natural tigers are the result of a male pike fertilizing musky eggs. Sounds right with muskies spawning later than pike. Question is, can you get tigers by fertilizing pike eggs with milk from a musky?

it can be done either way. most state stocking programs use the male pike method but some use the opposite. i can't say for fact but i surmise it has something to do with region and when the fish are ready to breed and the need to do it while the male is ripe and a female is gravid. i remember reading something on this awhile back. the size and characteristics of the hybrid is up to the female. anyway that's the gist. oh... a tiger is a barred muskie (great lakes strain) coupled with a pike.

Quote:
If it goes both ways you would think musky eggs with pike milk would produce bigger hybrids?

i've not heard that either way where it's''100 percent fact''. but going by the female being the decider in genetics dominance i'd say yeah, sounds good to me. but studies are studies, lol. took 24 years for the fisheries in tennesee to figure out longer living minnesota walleye don't get bigger than their shorter living strain even in the same waters. go figure. i wonder if their native walleye are now tainted with the genes from here? probly take 50 years to figure that out, lol.