• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for calling tips

Started visiting these forums a while back, decided to finally join and make my first post - I'm hoping this hasn't been covered yet, i've made the attempt to use the search feature with minimal results coming back from 'duck' and 'call'.

This will be my second duck hunting season (at least what I consider serious anyways), I picked up an acrylic call a few months ago but haven't really gotten a chance to get used to it yet. I'm looking for any tips you guys are willing to provide on how to master the basics, things I should make sure to do or to avoid.

I have been watching tons of youtube videos, converted some to mp3 so I can practice to my ipod on the drive into work. I'm hoping i'm on the right track, and I'm very interested in hearing what worked for everyone else!

Thanks!

get a cd. you can find them pretty easily at outdoor stores, usually close to the calls. They go for 10-20 bucks. I picked one up called straight talk or something that seems good. It focuses on calling ducks and not so much on competition calling. Starts out really basic.

I second the idea of getting a CD the Right Stuff Series by RNT is pretty user friendly. The nice thing about CD's is that you can also convert those to MP3's to play on your ipod, I did that myself and play it in the Front Loader while I'm at work. I know what you're thinking, "how do I drive front loader and call at the same time?" Well I don't, you can get better by just going through the cadence in your head or just imitating the sound. Also a lot of CD's out there explain not only how to blow but when to blow and what to look for during hunting situations. Which I think is more important than just blowing 'till the cows come home.

A dr-85 is about all u need for around here. Ducks are not call shy at all. I'll give a greeting call when they are far then a few quacks when they are circling. I also like to use my duck commander mallard drake call instead of feed calling, long deep quacks with that.

I am thinking about picking up a Rnt original before I go to Ar. This year. U need to be ontop of your game there.

One thing I did after listening to a CD for alot of hours was I went to a park with alot of ducks. I practiced different calls to see how they reacted. At first it seemed as if I was scarying them away But after awhile it was really cool to see what they would do. Don't just sit in the same spot either Walk a distance away and see if you can call them in. This also works in the off season to keep on practicing so you are ready for when season comes. At first you may get alot of stares but after awhile you will get an audience and everyone will want to try. I always thought this would be a great way to pick up a future duck hunting buddy. Kids get a real kick out of it when they can get the ducks to come to them

I would say there are two things you need.

1 - master the basic quack. This is often all you need to get the ducks to do what you want.

2 - Learning when to call and when not to call. Watch how your call affects birds in flight is critical.

This is 95% calling. The rest is helpful and lots of fun but doesn't do alot to put ducks in your bag.

I would say there are two things you need.

1 - master the basic quack. This is often all you need to get the ducks to do what you want.

2 - Learning when to call and when not to call. Watch how your call affects birds in flight is critical.

This is 95% calling. The rest is helpful and lots of fun but doesn't do alot to put ducks in your bag.

Very good advice.

Ive noticed that 95% of people in Northern Minnesota cannot call correctly. Ive seen ducks coming into peoples decoys and they are blowing what sounds like a kazoo and the ducks hear it and fly up 50 feet higher!!!!

If ducks are coming in, I wont call at all. I hunt alot of small ponds that are just part of local ducks routes and they will come in if there are ducks in it or not.

I WILL CALL if their heads are swiveling and they are quacking in the air. Ill give a few greeting calls in a row and then quacks...dumb local ducks here will do 180s for a loud quack.

I learned to call from my friend and his father in Arkansas. They learned to call from listening to ducks at a place called Hollowell reservoir..its a rest area next to Bayou Meto WMA near Stuttgart Arkansas..filled with millions of vocal ducks!

This puts me off to a great start, thanks for the advice so far! I've got a double nasty II that i've been huffin away at, is the dr-85 easy for a noob to try and tune?

I'll likely be picking one up tomorrow, can't go wrong with the price (plus it finally gives me a reason to use a lanyard).