• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Horizontal vs. Vertical

Matt Johnson

Matt, I've made spring bobbers just like the Thorne Brothers model - bic lighter spring, wrap the end with electrical tape until it fits snugly in the the rod tip. Not as pretty as the TB model, but it works great. If I'm not mistaken, the actual spring TB uses is that exact Bic lighter spring - but they add that red bead on the end.

I have not tried deadsticking with a noodle rod, but it sounds like a great idea. Wonder how a deadsticked noodle rod on a rock-n-reel would work?

I'm sure you've heard of Greg Bohn, Minoaqua, WI. We made a bunch up for his bait store when he had it. I'm not going to get into a bickering match over who's right or wrong. I've used both and the piano wire is way more sensitive! Whatever works for you...use it!

Bruce

Sure, I know Greg - I live in Minocqua/Woodruf. When he closed his tackle store a few years ago he just auctioned off all his stuff. Man, that was a COOL auction! I think I probably got a few of your spring bobbers in a box of ice fishing gear I bought. I'm not arguing with you over what is more sensitive - the piano wire bobbers are more sensitive, to be sure. My point is, I'm not going to spend my time over fish that are so finicky that I need a bobber that is that sensitive and labor intensive. If they are that negative, I'm going to look for more active fish, in another area of the lake, or a different species altogether - sometimes a completely different lake is in order. My equipment is set up for maximum efficiency and ease of use. The springs I use are cheap and easily replaced in about 10 seconds, and actually, I still haven't found a bite I can't detect with them - using a good quality, limp ice line, if that fish mouths the jig or inhales it, I see it. Truth be told, I still linewatch more than I use a spring bobber anyways, but some days they are nice. But you are absolutely right, whatever works for the particular fisherman is what they should be using! It's all good, and half the fun of ice fishing is talking with other guys about what they use, what they've invented, and why :-)

I've never worked a Rock-n-Reel/noodle rod combo before so I don't know how that would work out, I'm sure it would be just fine though. I prefer set-ups like the Rock-n-Reel and Rod Strap for walleyes, perch and depth-orientated crappies. The good part about the noodle rod is that often times you won't have to use the Rock-n-Reel, you can just set it on a rod holder or in a Rod Strap. The flexibility of the noodle rod has enough give to let the fish pull slightly without heavy resistance. Only problem with a noodle rod is that you might lose some hooking power. Some noodle rods designed for deadsticking are a different story though, they have a solid backbone with a fast tip.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

I prefer horizontal jigs for panfish. Either with larva or crappie minnows. I get a MUCH better hooking percentage on horizontal jigs on crappies and they show up better.

I generally only buy jigs that have a gold or silver finish on the hook. The other ones with the dull finish seem to loose their bite and rust quicker. There are a few jigging spoons I have that are several years old with many fish caught on them. You just need to touch up the point a little as they have a gold finish and don't rust.

I also look at the diameter of the hook. I would rather not back hook a small crappie minnow with a larger diameter hook. That diameter plays a big role in keeping larva alive as well. Thin strong hooks penetrate better and keep you bait fresher.

Some of the JB stuff has decent hooks. The Genz stuff has marginal hooks. Fairly thin but the hook finish is suspect.

I have had success on some of the vertical jigs for eyes. I generally bend out the gap a bit to get better hooking percentage on some of those jigs.

Who else thinks that jigging rap hooks are too small?

When you mean jigging rap hooks do you mean the treble hook or the end hooks? I think the treble hooks are too small. I replace the hooks on my jigging raps with larger treble hooks. Not only easier to un-hook fish but also a better and stronger hooking percentage.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]

Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

One more thing about jigging raps. I have lost more than a couple eyes at the hole where the one of the hooks not in the fish gets caught on the ice at the bottom of the hole and the fish then get off.

It usually happens on bigger fish that you can't just crank in.

PikeTipper,
I would assume so. I can recall exactly what they are like but I would think that they could be rigged up. Are they pretty flimsy?

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]

Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

Good point on the thin hooks. I also look for the thinnest hooks I can find on my jigs. I love the Genz jigs, but you are right about the hooks, they do tend to wear/break pretty quickly. Although I've landed some halfway decent pike on a fatboy :-) One thing I've started doing recently is squashing the barbs down on my jig hooks - maggots will stay alive longer this way, and unhooking fish is easier too.

Yep, the trebles NEED to be replaced on a jigging rap - I do the same, upsize at least one size. Also, the Nilsmaster Jigging Shad has this MONSTER treble, I downsized that one to a #8 triple grip. Seems to fit the lure alot better.

I'll sometimes cut off the end hooks on a jigging rap. The larger treble will be sufficient in most cases and this will avoid them getting caught on the edge of the holes.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]

Iceleaders
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever