• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

depth/fish finder vs. underwater camera

Mat O

I would go with the Vex. THe camera systems are nice to have but the Vex would be more useful. You would be able to "see" more fish and know what depth they are at. Like I said, Cameras are nice to have but they are pretty limited. I plan on getting a camera system this winter. I already have a Vex..and the camera would be just for fun.

Also, dont limit yourself to just the Vex name brand. There are other models on the market that do a great job. I used a friend's Marcum last winter and loved it. The Vex V. Marcum issue has been debated on this forum several times...just do a search a see what others have said. Good luck

I would definitely go with the flasher unit (MarCum, Vexilar...). An underwater camera is nice to have but not essential. Your flasher is the fish's mood indicator, it lets you know how the fish are acting and can dictate what they want. The flasher also allows you to work more efficiently because it needs a lot less set up. I like to use underwater cameras when scouting out spots our when I'm over a hot bite that doesn't go away. Don't get me wrong, an underwater camera is an awesome learning tool when out on the ice (and in a boat) but you don't have to have one to be a successful ice fisherman, but a flasher WILL help you catch more fish. I won't hit the ice without my LX-3, but I have without my underwater camera.

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

All around the vex is much more universal. But there have been many , many times my wife and I sat side by side, her with the camara on down view, me with the fl 18, and if the fish are biting very lightly, she would just kick my butt! you can see that fish suck the bait in on a camara, but feeling the bite or watching your bobber= very tough to match the result.

I love my Aquaview but just for finding spots to fish I would have to go with the Vex. When you add in that the flasher marks fish that come in and also shows suspended fish that the camera might miss it is hands down the more needed tool.

Hmmmm, this is a tough one. I'd have to go with the Vex. Its hard to find a spot with out a depthfinder. Plus you can't locate a school of suspended Crappies with a Aqua-Vu. But the Aqua-Vu is an absolutly awesome learning tool. You can actually see what the bottom content is, or what species of fish is down there. It also really helps you understand fish behavior, and how fish interact towards eachother. For example: I found out that Northerns, Bass, and Walleye's don't bother Crappies or Sunnies. I saw a school of Northerns swim right through a school of Sunnies and the Sunnies didn't even move. Now Perch and small Walleye's on the other hand are a totally different story. If a predator gets 10 feet from a school a Perch, those Perch are gone in the blink of an eye.

I have used vex. and marcums for the last 5 years of fishing and with out a doubt it has increased my catch. I thought a camera would be handy so I bought one of those after buying my vex. Now when ever I go out my marcum comes along and the camera sits at home.

------------------
Grip it and Rip it

IFFWalleyes
I Fish For Walleyes
iffwalleyes at yahoo.com