• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a bird Dog! :)

tealitup

This weekend I went up to Park Rapids to hunt with my brother-in-law.

Friday, the dog was left home with the wife so she would "feel safe" home alone.

We shot five birds - nothing special - but it rained all day long.

Saturday morning we were set up at 6am on a great little point. The dog, on her second real hunt, sat next to me with two gunners on my right.

Flocks of 20-50 birds from sunrise until 10am circling the decoys. My job was training the dog with a few shots.

Kinsey would watch the birds in the air; she noticed them crashing into the water. On her first retrieve she swam right to the duck. Put it into her mouth, but the ring neck was flopping around. She dropped it and swam around it - not knowing what to do.

I walked out to the bird and grabbed her vest. Put the bird into her mouth and walked her back to shore. On shore she did not really want to put the bird in her mouth.

We had 50-70 ducks flying above and Kinsey barking loudly at the dead bird next to her. Birds did not care about the barking but my hunting partners were not impressed.

Five minutes later - I took a shot and took another ring neck/ring bill and it lay dead about 15 yards from shore. Kinsey runs into the 40 degree water like she was shot from a cannon. I walked to the edge of the water - encouraging her to pick it up. My two hunting partners also encouraging her.

Ducks flying , but all three of use could care less. Kinsey was about to pick up her first duck. She picks it up and straight back to me. Drops the bird in my hand and sits - ready for more! She was so excited (I think I was more excited then her) - every guy in the blind came over to offer Kinsey congratulations on her first bird.

We had one other bird on the water about thirty yards out. I threw a rock and she retrieved the down bird. A light went on in her head - "This is why we come out to the water with that long stick that goes boom."

We ended up with a one short of a limit for ducks on Saturday morning - an absolutely great hunt. The day, for me, was seeing Kinsey realize what to do in the duck blind and bringing the birds back.

The work through the summer paid off. I have a waterfowl dog! (and loves to pheasant hunt). As soon as I can get some pictures I will post.

Warms the heart don't it! I can remember Mindites first hunt was kind of like that. Once that light comes on you have a hunting partner and a friend in the blind and not your pet dog! You will look at her differently at home as well. Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

It's fun to see the lightbulb go on. My 18 month old lab hunted for the first time this year. He faked it for a while until our older dog got on a bird and the pup realized what he was supposed to do. Once he got the scent of a live bird he turned into a pheasant maniac!

Neither dog has had any professional training...just natural instinct. It's just amazing to see that instinct kick in!

Funny thing - I took my shotgun out to clean it last night and she went crazy and ran to the truck. She was MAD that we did not go hunting. Actually ignored me when we went back in the house.