• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A deer, a jay, a duck hunter, a Ken

Again,nice captures!...that set-up of Ken's is remeniscent of an 8" SP howitzer in my Marine Corps days grin...

Nah, the tube on an 8" isn't that big around wink

Nice work Steve the profile shot of ken is great, that one fine Finn photographer you captured there.

Quote:
Ken should be smiling because of that new camera body!

Well..... The purpose for yesterday's shoot was to push the camera to see what it could do. The good news is that I have found some of it's limits. The bad news is that I was on the wrong side of those limits when the wolf came out. Rats! I did get some shots earlier in the day that are really decent, and I'll post a couple of those in this thread tonight when I get home.

Thanks, guys. It was a great afternoon for sure. smilesmile

Mike, the deer and gray jay were taken at iso3200, both with the 300. The first image of Ken was at iso800 with the 300/1.4 TC combo and the second image of Ken was at iso800 with the 70-200 f2.8L. The duck hunter I shot at iso800 with the 400 f5.6L.

I shot an awful lot of iso1600 and 3200 when I was covering sports, now mostly limiting high iso photography to indoor weddings, and generally with subjects that are isolated from the background a bit I'll lasso the subject and sharpen it selectively, then select "inverse," which highlights everything outside the lasso, and run Noise Ninja on it and sometimes a light guassian blur. Those steps pretty much always kill most noise.

High iso shooting requires an even more careful approach to exposure. To get the least noise, it's always best to pay attention to the histogram and use EC or manual settings to move the histogram as far to the right as possible to open up the mid-range and shadow areas to more exposure, which lessens the noise. Of course the images will look washed out when you first view them, but it's a simple matter to correct that in pp.

It sure was fun to play with high iso on the 20D/30D again.

I suspect that Ken's 50D iso3200, when shot with in-camera noise reduction, is about as noisy as iso800 on my 20D/30D bodies. We haven't done direct comparisons, so that's just a guess from chimping on the camera LCDs. It may even be better, more like iso400.