• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Safe Ice Fishing

Fishook

Thanks for the responses. It probably is not a bad idea to remind everyone about common sense ice safety (or open water safety for that matter). I am trying to plan some vacation time doing some ice fishing in the PR area this year and I now have a better idea of when that might be.

Rick,
Yes...I agree, there is no safe answer to this question. I have a couple of articles on my site about ice safety and ice thickness, and how ice forms. I'm not sure what links are allowed and what is not. If if linking to my site is not allowed, just let me know and I won't do it again.

Here is the link. Please feel free to delete if it is not appropriate. Ice Safety Stuff

[This message has been edited by Bob_D (edited 09-16-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Bob_D (edited 09-16-2004).]

Generalizations are tough to make. Depends on the year. A few years ago, when I lived in South Dakota, I was ice fishing on Thanksgiving one year, and out in the boat on a beautiful Thanksgiving day the next.

Also, the lake makes a difference too...is there a current in the lake? Spring fed? Deep or shallow? Those things all make a difference, as one lake can be "safe" for ice fishing while another lake just down the road has open water.

You all need to try "The squeek cheek shuffle".When ice is around 2" I'll take my belly boat and climb into a pair of chest waders,then I hook suspenders to my belly boat,climb in,pull it up & fasten the suspenders.A life jacket never hurts,but the boat has saved me plenty of times to feel comfortable.ALWAYS HAVE ICE PICKS ! YOU WILL FALL IN AT ONE POINT OR ANTHER.

------------------
Greg

Thanks Rick. Let's see if you still think that in a couple of months. icon12.gif The ice will be here before we know it. I still have a couple of small mods to do to my shanty and sled, so I can use a little time.

As crappiebait said, icepicks are a must. The cheapest insurance you can buy. I also carry safety rope with a large loop and a small boat fender on my sled. The loop makes it easier to get over your body (the person in the water) and the fender makes it easier to throw longer distance and make it float. A good plan with the person you are fishing with helps too. Go through the "what ifs" before hand.

Here is my safety rope... Safety%20rope.JPG