• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diver spread question

Well got back from Sodak last night, and had a great time hunting divers. Too much corn for pheasants, too hot and calm for puddle ducks and geese....but the divers were awesome. We found a 10 acre slough that was loaded with freshwater shrimp and thus DIVERS!!!

All the advice on spreads was greatly appreciated. I ended up doing the J hook, w/ mallards at the bottom of the J. The spread looked nice and such, but the lack of wind didn't help. Also we couldn't get the long line out that far, because we didn't have a boat and the water was deep. It didn't matter! We had a fantastic shoot. Bluebills, Redheads, Buffies, and Ringnecks.

I'm hooked, just listening to those little fighter jets is amazing. Out of nowhere the come up behind you and it's 'oops, i crapped my pants'. My buddy who's land we were hunting on never hunted them and just referred to them as sh!t ducks. He now truly appreciates the birds, and is actually mounting a really nice drake redhead and a pair of buffies.

I can't wait to do it again. My only complaint: they fly so fast that it can be hard to distinguish the ringnecks from the bluebills. I can see why the DNR was so [PoorWordUsage] about the 1 bluebill limit. That's really not much to complain about.

Anyway, thanks again guys. If you ever need to fill a spot on a diver hunt, look me up.

WV

When I hunt in an area that has mostly diver I only put out 4-6 mallard deks just in case you see a few loners because divers don't decoy well to them. As for the spinners I think a lot of divers flare from them. I have seen it over my spread first hand. I usually put out about 30-45 divers when I hunt big water but on a small piece of water your eighteen will be fine. One larger pod and one smaller to create a comfort landing zone and a 4-5 decoy string if the wind is right. Some of the stuff these other guys told you to do sounds pretty mickey mouse if you ask me.

Raining Feathers,

Mickey mouse? hey look at the waterfowl photos from last fri sat from me. I had three spinners out and they never flared from them once. its not a limit but they are divers and my spread ate em up better than ne one else on that lake that day we had the most shooting in the whole bay. And yes I did have more than 40 diver decoys out.