• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Diver spread question

Hey guys,

I'll be heading to NE Sodak this weekend and have been hearing lots of reports for good diver activity. We'll be hunting ponds mostly, no big water. I have about 18 diver dekes and 3 dozen mallard dekes. I've never really hunted divers, and want to know how you all would set up my dekes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

WV

I would put your diver dekes in a straight line down wind of your blind. Divers will follow the line until they get to the landing hole. The landing hole is where I would spead out the mallards. Yes mojos are good for divers.

walleye,

I have witnessed mixed results for divers with a robo-duck. The first few flocks will tell you if it matters or not. If the flocks sweep your blocks just out of range it might be because of the robo. As far as how to set them up, the J-hook trick works, put your brightest diver decoys on the outside of your spread, divers are suckers for WHITE.

The only thing I would change that has worked well for me is leave a space between the divers and the mallards. Whether you run a J, W, or C with the mallards, run the divers towards the mallards but leave a ten yard landing hole. Another option is to have a separate landing hole for the divers again leaving a gap in the line for them to land in. The spinning wings have worked better off to the side and not right in the landing zone of the divers. This worked for me this morning.

mm

ddd mmm

ddd s mmmm

ddd s mmmmmmm

dddd mmmmmmmmm

dddddd mmmmm

Blind

For Diver I'll usually set a strait line out down wind and than in the calm area of the water make a loop or a J with it for a landing hole Than just set the mallards in a pot off to the side and thats usually where I'll have to mojos set up also

the goose decoy deal is put the goose decoys on the down wind side and tie them into the j rig and then string your divers aff the end of your mallards. I have used the mojos everywere in the spread on the end in the pocket in the mallards seems they work well for both divers and puddle ducks had a green head almost land on one of the floater style ones yesterday. I will draw a rig up and take a pic for ya. stay tuned...

So after getting all of your advice, tell me if this spread idea is correct. Bear with me on the picture.

D=diver, M=mallard, G=goose

D D D D D D D D D D

..........................D M M

...........................D M M M

...........................D M M M M

..........................D M M M M M

.......................D D D M M mojo M M

...................G G D M M M M

....................G M M M M

hope this works?

BLIND?

DDDDDDDDDDD M M M

............DDM M M

............DDM M MOJO BLIND? <------ WIND

............DDDM MM M

............DDD M M M

DDDDDDDDDDDD MM M m

BLIND?

I like the U shape gives them something to follow on both sides this way they land in the middle. or they follow it up for a close shot anyways. I also placed the blind in 3 different spots depending on the situtation were the best cover is. GOOD LUCK

I would put them up above everything up by where I put the wind(in my diagram) I dont like to have my honkers by my ducks dont ask me why I just like to keep alittle distance between honkers and ducks.

this is how I usually start the day but most times I will cahnge it after the first flock shorts or doesnt land in the zone sometimes I eveb change how many deocys are in one spot or have multiple landing zones

PA270093.jpg

I tried a mirrored C setup a few time and I really like my results. used about thirty dekes. a c on each side so there is a pocket in front and on both sides. I put the honkers in the middle and heart of the C's to give the ducks and geese a good target and placed the puddle ducks at the bottom of the C and the divers at the end of the c's. im sure it doesnt make sense but hey it worked. never had so many ducks fly right at me.