• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Identification on a Portable shelter

2liner

Buying a new flip over portable this fall and was reading through the DNR regs about identification on the outside (name and address, drivers license or DNR number - all must be at least 2" in height, ect). I was thinking about attaching this info to the door, but then thought that wouldn't be visible if the door was open. Then I thought, how about next to the door? But that wouldn't be visible if I had my flip over ice house up as a wind block. Am I making too much out of this??

You know, I wonder just what kind of sticklers the DNR officers would be, in regards to the info positioning on the fish houses, portable, or otherwise, as long as a reasonable effort is made to conform to standards? Anybody had any bad experiences with this?

Over the years, I have had my info, left, right and over the door, even had it under the window on a canvas portable once and as many times as I have been checked over the years, I never had a problem?

That's the only reason that makes any sense to me.

I can understand the permanent house license. I can also understand needing a license for any portable that you can/will leave out on the ice unattended. I'm saying I can understand those and am fine with them, probably because it's been like that as long as I can remember and I am used to it.

But I think its downright stupid to have to license your glorified sled because it has a windbreak. Clearly it a product that you are going to bring out with you and take it back off the ice went you leave. You might as well have people license any 5 gallon buckets that it's possible to sit on.

I have been checked a few times and all I have is my name and DL # on a piece of plywood with my license attached and they have never said a word to me about it. I know there was talk about dropping the requirements to license portables but I don't know if anything ever came of it. I think the wardens know it is kind of ridiculous that you need to license a portable so as long as you have something they will let it slide.

I was checked by Lisa Krusse last year on Centerville. I had my license posted but didn't have my name on my portable. She asked me where I had my name listed and I told her I thought it was a stupid rule and began a debate as to why it should have to be on a portable.

I told her that if my portable was set up, I was in it fishing and didn't need any identification. She said that many people set up portables and leave them up year round as permanent ice houses. When a big wind comes up and those portables end up on some lake home owners shore, the ID makes it easier to find the owner. I told her I could understand that reasoning but it was still a stupid rule. She was kind and proceeded to write me up a citation (warning only)

Now I fasten a sheet to the side of my portable with my drivers license number. She said as long as some effort is made, that would be acceptable. The next time she checks me, I'll be within the law.

The Spook

I think that anything that has more then 2 sides needs a shelter lic. I can't find my book right now, but I believe I read that?

I also think that if you are fishing out of your vehicle, you have to have a shelter lic. for it?

I don't know, maybe it would count if you had your licensed portable in the bed of the truck, or the trunk of the car? I'm just jokin, I guess it would depend on what mood a DNR officer was in, weither you would get burnt, or get a warning?

I just have a little piece of "plastic cardboard" or something to that effect, and a black permenant marker to display my license number, and I just slot it in a window, I also attach my license to this cardboard, heck if I put something reflective on it too it would be even better....

I found out the hard way last year (80.00) that the structure license displayed on the plastic window of my front door (3 man vouegeur) does not comply with the law. I did not have my name and address, or DL number, or my DNR number on the house. Only one of the three is required but must be visible and in letters 2" high. The warden (from Browerfille, first name Rhonda) was an absoulute professinal and we stood on the ice for 45 minutes discussing the law and just plain talking fishing. I agree with a prior post that if its portable and on the lake, you can bet I'm inside it.

The other question that arose was removal of the house at midnight during the latter part of the season. She told me the definition of a shelter is two sides and a roof. Her solution to this situation. Drop the canvas into the sled and sit on the chairs, no longer considered permanent. I now have my ID on the canvas.. Good luck and hang on. Bill

i got mine permanent markered to the back of a plastic for sale sign. 2" name, 2" driver's license# and house tag all on one very durable piece of plastic. here's the best part......i have two houses...one man and a two man, i just slide the ready made tag into the tag holder of whichever i am going to use.

My Fishtrap Voyager came with a plastic sleeve to attach somewhere to the shelter. I put it above the door.

I created a Word document with my drivers license so the letters were about 2" high and printed it on two sheets, cut it down and slid into the sleeve.

It should be good enough.

Almost all houses have some type of sleeve to put your required inforamtion. The simplelist thing to do is type your DL# on a 81/2 x 11 piece of paper landscaped. (play around with the right font to obtain required letter height)have the paper laminated to protect from the weather.

Next, for your house license go to a office supply store and buy the luggage tag that you can laminate a business card in. Attach to zipper and you are set. This will allow you to remove the licenses If want to remove the tag for another portable.

In Microsoft Word, use a font called 'Placard Condensed'. In the font size menu, use '200' as your font size. It is a tall, narrow font. Also, click to make the font 'bold'.

You can get the drivers' license number - letter and first six numbers on the top row, next six numbers on the bottom row - in landscape format onto an 8.5 x 11 paper, with room in the lower right corner for your license. I used a 'slash' between each set of numbers...saved space vs using a dash.