• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tipup tricks?

augernaut

This is a trick that I learned last season up in Canada. There were 10 people out ice fishing with two tipups each. How did we distinguish who's belonged to who? We each had our own personalized flags on them. One person showed just how patriotic he is. Nothing like watching a big U.S. Flag popping up on Canadian ice.

My dad and I use strike sensors. They have a pager (which can be switched off) and a light. It is setup so when you get a flag it sets off the light.

I dont know if you want to buy these though because they jynx your tipup. All last year any tipup that had one attached to it would not go up.

My first pike fishing experience was nothing but deadbait just barely resting on, or maybe an inch off the bottom. The trick is to get it to stay as horizontal as possible. We were catching some really nice northerns that way. If Minneman sees this post, he can explain it better.

I use the strike sensors but would really like a scetch or something about those boxes freefly. I remember as a kid when icin w/grandpa he had a house but no light or heater other than a candle by each hole to see the bobber and keep the hole from freezing over.

------------------
Ice is coming soon!!
GRIZ

Ive always wondered about fishing with "dead-bait" on tip-ups for big pike. I have about it many times and how its great for big pike. I think its mainly used in very shallow areas with the deadbait dangling just below the ice, but im not sure. Has anyone one here perfected the deadbait fishing? I wonder what kinds of bait to use, how far down to but them, and in what depths of water. Thanks for any info. Good luck this winter!

------------------
"Better get the net!"
-Fishin Chad