• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Drove the 850 sportsman

Roofer

Dealer let me drive a Browning edition 850 Sportsman right off the showroom floor. To be straight and to the point....Best machine I have ever driven. The power of a Can Am or BF and the ride of a Polaris. I took it out, ran a few wheelies and was sold. The new suspension is great (as if the other sportsmans weren't great already). It felt light and nimble for a heavier machine. The new look is striking. I looked at a new BF, a Can Am and the Polaris. The 08 Can Am was the same price as a 2009 850 Sportsman.

Anyone looking for a big bore machine should not overlook this one.

Roofer, looks like your review is about word for word with the one that I gave about a month and a 1/2 ago about the ride that I took on one! Did the one you rode have the power steering and if so what did you think. Personally I thought it was awesome, you can turn the handlbars from lock to lock with one finger, literally! It's an awesome feature. Glad you enjoyed it.

NAMA, the PS models are not out yet. The Browning edition is not a PS model. To be honest, I could have been told the one I drove was PS and believed it. It turned very easy. Not fingertip easy, but one handed easy, even on tar sitting still. It is a feature that is not needed, IMO, unless you have a medical problem to deal with or very large tires. Smaller fuel tank, $700 more, more moving parts and electrical....not worth it to me.

Now I just have to 'undress' the BF for trade in.

Upgrading is always a loss. I call it "paying to play". I will lose roughly $500 trading in as apposed to selling outright. Plus I can take off all the accessories and hopefully get a few bucks.

Where are ya getting it? Why haven't they released the power steering units yet?

Not Bristows, if that's what you are asking. smile

Maybe NAMA could answer about the PS. I just heard they will not be out till December. The dealer I talked to said that he doesn't plan on selling too many of them. The non-PS models steer very easy as it is. Time will tell. Not a selling point to me. Even a small girl could ride it all day one handed, as far as I can see.

I like some things that Polaris did with there new XP. However there are still some dissapointing things, such as the headlight pod, dont need it. Muffler across the back. Small rear rack. I cant remember what else its been awhile since I saw one. Now the real question is, is how will it hold up? Will it still have rear wheel bearings go out, tie rods, ball joint problems, U-joints? Polaris does some good things but they also really do some dumb things. With that said I'd really like to try one of the new Popo vs a Cam-Am and I mean for the long haul not just on a test basis like they do in the mags.

I am going to go with Mies. They beat other prices by $600 or more. As for the EPS, I don't have tracks, so I couldn't say how the steering is. It may be an option to consider for that, but you will be the better judge of that. I had no problem steering my BF. The sportsmans are childs play for steering.

The problem I have now, is I have a rather new Warn winch and I'm not sure how well that will attach to a sportsman. The new 3500 Polaris winch is a great value. Just got one for my dad's 800.

I was very happy with the purchase/install of my 3500 Polaris winch, however the bracket with it is designed for the 500/700/800 style and won't work (mount) on the new XP models.

Looks like I will need to visit Watkins as I haven't seen the 850's anywhere only the 550's.

I would agree the NON PS Poplaris steers very similar to the 700 Grizz with PS.

Ive been watching Daryl Rath race the new sportsman in the XC hare scramble series that I race in, and he has done very well and the sportsman has held up to all the abuse he has thrown at it, its finished every race so far in the top 3. he has been racing the 850 with out the PS.

One other thing not to forget about the power steering will also act as a steering stabilizer and keep the bars from getting ripped from your hands etc if you hit a rut, rock, etc.

it has zerks on the front a-arms (2 on each arm) = 8

also zerks on the rear a-arms (2 on each arm) = 8

and then the 2 rear hubs has zerks as well

if you search under the 2009 models the 850 is out there

do a keyword search for 'Fitting, Lubricating' and it will pull up each diagram with those parts

It's registered class 2 for the time being. I will be working hard at finding out what's going on come Monday.

I didn't get home today till about 5:30. I only put two miles on it, and after taking a look around it quick.....it was dark already. I'll be putting it through some paces shortly.

Bad part is, I need all new accessories and the wife is on my tail already. wink