• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permanent House......1st one built......Help

deaceye

I am building my first perm....retractable wheels 7x14 V front. I am a little concerned about insulating.....whether to go with 1 1/2 pink board or spend about $400 more to get it spray foamed. I know that spray foam is the cat's meow...but would rather spend that money on other accessories. I also will run lights on 12v two 29 series batteries in parallel with a forced air suburban furnace.......Should I run the wires through some sort of a fuse panel? If so what do you recommend. Thanks in advance for the information. I'll post pics as I finish.

Spray foam would be in my opinion number one choice. I personally do not like the pink foam for walls to many loose gaps to plug up, it has its good and bad. I used regular kraft backed fiberglass. there are several mfg. that do it this way. I am very happy with it. nice and warm. I also highly recommend insulating floor. For number 2, yes I would find some sort of fuse panel. I used one from a camper that takes the small glass automotive fuses.

Ice shacks are a small area. If you have a good heater, you don't need to spend all that money on insulation. Besides- you want some ventilation in the shack. That air coming in helps keep people alive.

Are you paneling the inside? If you are, I would buy the cheap white insulation...at best the pink board....the paneling will hold it in place.

I know the other stuff is better, but I don't think it is necessary.

We did the spray foam on ours and it held the whole thing together sooo much better. The walls and roof have zero give now. I hear you on the cost issue though, but this is a wheel house and if you plan on running around with it and not just parking and leaving it, I would go spray foam for sturdy and support on the road. We did not do the panel but used an in line fuse set up. Don't forget a CO detector!

Thanks guys, yes I plan on putting knotty pine panelling inside. I am a little concerned with the roof, because we used 2x2 with a slight vault and had a tough time putting any type of hurricane straps to secure it....ended up using L-brackets instead. If I used the pink board would I need to have some type of vapor barrier?