• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

tip downs

ny angler

these are the only instructions for tip downs that I've seen on the ice.

1) go on lake (hard or soft, doesn't matter)

2) open cooler

3) grab 12 ounce beverage

4) open 12 ounce beverage

5) "tip down!"

Seriously though, I'd like to hear what these are, and are they only for perch?

Tip downs are differnt than tip ups in that they have an adjustable counterbalance on the rod . When adj right a light bite tips the rod down .Theres very little resistance making them great for perch crappie gills and such.Ive seen them with reels on them and with prongs to wind the line on . A local guy makes them out of hardwood. at a pricey $20.00 a pop.I guess i might have to buy one of his and make the adjusments too it till i like what i come up with .Was hoping to get a few ideas as too different designs.

Anybody use the Rock 'N Reel???

I haven't, but if I'm not mistaken, this is the exact same concept. Its a rod holder that tips down when a fish takes the bait, right?? Here is a huge thread from either last winter of the winter before. I think there is a picture on page 6.

http://fishingminnesota.com/ubb/Forum30/HTML/002141.html

Are these still available?? Is Tbone still around here??

[This message has been edited by hanson (edited 08-26-2004).]

To answer your question on tip downs...contact a friend of mine who makes a similar product called a Rock n Reel. They are the same concept but your rod is a balancing system. They are the best thing going for finicky fish of any species. They were in last years in fisherman ice guide. E-mail me at [email protected]
I will put you in contact with him.

Okay, how much do these Rock & Reel's go for? I'd love to get a stand-alone and possibly a mounting one.

I could probably make one myself but I'd rather go for the quality built ones.

If you'd like some help in advertising them as well, I might be able to point you in the right direction.

WallEYES- You have mail.

I apologize after fully rereading the thread I previously posted, you must know Tbone. Once again, I'm interested. Where do I send my $$.

[This message has been edited by hanson (edited 08-27-2004).]

Let me relate a little testimonial on the Rock -n- Reel.

I have been a fan of the Rock -n- Reel since its inception. I'd better be, after all, T-Bone is my brother, LOL.

Anyhoo...T-Bone, WallEYEs and I were fishing a small lake late last February. We had scratched out a few fish as the afternoon turned into early evening. It was snowing pretty heavy with big wet flakes.

The crappies were suspended about 20 to 30 feet down in 45 feet of water.

WallEYES and I had packed up our stuff as the bite seemed to have quit for the night, and we were getting pretty wet. T-Bone remained hunched over his set up, so once we had packed everything we walked over to him.

His vex was lit up like a Christmas tree. The fish were starting to co-operate. They were light biters. T-Bone only had one pole out and it was on a Rock N Reel. The rod tip would quiver, and it would dip an inch or two. Snap the rod off the peg and it was FISH ON! Sometimes the rod tip would raise up an inch or two instead of dip. That was a crappie grabbing the jig and continuing to swim up. Again, snap the rod off the peg, and FISH ON!. For the next 45 minutes, we took turns with that one pole. You got to catch fish until you missed one. Then it was the next guys turn. We kept a few more, and released a whole bunch of fish. Man, that was fun!

I have used the Rock n Reel with great success on walleyes and perch also. I even had a 35 inch pike on LOW grab a walleye jig and take off. The Rock n Reel actually kept my pole from going down the hole. The rod stayed on the peg and pumped up and down as the fish ran. Once the run stopped, I set the hook and the fight was on.

I have used slip bobbers and the Rock N reel side by side. Somedays, it does not matter, the fish will hit either one when they are agressive. On those days when the fish are tight lipped and just nuzzling the jig, the Rock n Reel has picked up the fish while a bobber line or jigging spoon was not touched.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

A spring bobber is the same in that it is a bite indicator.

The tip down and rod holders that allow your rod to swivel are much more than that.

In actual practice, a spring bobber and a tipdown function differently. In the outing described above, the rock-n-reel was being used in a situation where a spring bobber could probably have been more effective. However, for a remote set line system, a tipdown/deadstick like the rock-n-reel is superior to a spring bobber, simply because there is much more play available before a fish will feel any resistance - it is also much more visual for the angler - easier to see. Tipdowns are used very commonly here in Wisconsin for crappies and perch. I plan on using them more for finicky walleye this year too. I also got a rock-n-reel late last year, and haven't really had a chance to play with it much yet - but I can see potential!!!

I've seen the Rock-n-Reel in action and they are sweet! A very good tool to have out on the ice.

I've also had great success with the Rod Strap by Todays Tackle. A multi-functional piece of equipment that I use just about everytime I'm on the ice in some way or another. Whether I'm deadsticking or keeping rods up and out of the way, the Rod Strap works great. I've also heard that Todays Tackle will have some new products coming soon that will double as a tip-down as well...

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

While i like the idea of the rock and reel, I think the NY dec would classify this as a jig pole... and count it as such in the 2 jig pole part of the 2 handlines and 5 tip up or downs .I guess im going to have to make my own design.Thanks for the info . God i cant wait for it too freeze.

------------------
ny angler