• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How's everyones project coming?

fishingguy

Its been a couple weeks since I posted the question last. So, how's everyone doing?

I have made pretty good progress. I have the exterior completed. The inside walls are done, I plumbed and installed the heater, and I have a storage cabinet/bunk just about done. Next is carpet, a couple small cabinets and maybe a fold away table. Fishable in a couple weeks, I hope?

Sounds like things are rollin smoothly. Almost ready to put the finishing touches on... smile.gif

Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson

------------------
Matt Johnson Outdoors
[email protected]
Metro Area Ice Fishing and more...

Iceleaders
Catch-N Tackle and Bio-Bait
MarCum
Stone Legacy
JR's Tackle
Fish Fever

fishingguy,

Just picked up my windows tonight at Menards. I've got the pole barn siding on order and I'm hoping and praying it comes in by labor day weekend or I'm going to throw a fit. Well, maybe not throw a fit but its going to set me back. My dad is working on ripping the 2x4s to make the 2x2 studs and he's also cutting the rafters now. My big push is labor day weekend since I'll be up at our lake cabin where construction is taking place.

Finally lined up some funds for my furnace so it looks like I'll be able to heat the thing. Big propane tank is taken care of already.

Like I may have mentioned earlier, the skids and the floor are done. Now its just everything else.

Just started on the trailer. Still looking at wheel systems to purchase.

This is just a weekend project for me and will become a weekend night only project once bow hunting starts.

Estimate to when it will be complete.....Dec. 1st

All I have left on my new 6' 6" x 12' shanty on wheels is to put the stove pipe out the side and i am good to go. I will give it the first test Sept. When i take it bow hunting. 6 holes are done, 3 bunks done, painted on the outside a nice brown color, the opanleling is done, but not perfect. i left the inside a little on the hillbilly side so when people come over to ask how the fishing is the see a qualtiy shack, but nothing worth braking the door down for. About tow hours of work left and then i just need some ice.

OK, my siding came in. Yippee!!! Picking up the door & Empire heater tomorrow!! If all goes well, I'll have a fully sided house with door, windows, and heater installed after this weekend. If things go reeeeaaaaallll well, it'll be insulated with paneling inside too.

I made pretty good progress as well this past weekend. I got the carpet in, finished the storage/bunk, and got a couple fold away tables put in. It is now ready to fish. I may put in a couple small upper cabinets in yet, but if I run out of time, after all hunting season is here, at least I can us it.
Question? I have a heater using 3" vent pipe. I used a 5" nipple to go thru the wall and just stuck the 3" inside it. Now I need to fill the space between the 3" pipe and the 5" nipple. Any thoughts? Fiberglass ins.? Foam? Steel wool? Anyone know of anything that is fire proof that I can stuff in there?

Hi fishingguy, usually on commercial construction jobs the code is to fill the gap with mineral wool insulation and then use fire caulking to cover over the wool on the inside and outside. There are different types of fire caulking too, the best for a more ridgid finish would be the type that acts like silicone when it's applied. If the nipple is able to be removed, I would replace it with a piece of double wall B-vent pipe, you can get it at Menards or anywhere. It will allow the inner layer to heat up but keep the outer layer that's touching your fish house to stay cool. Hope this helps you out.

Coming right along on my project, this past weekend i sprayed the tongue and groove with a water based poly (3 coats) got her nice and shiny and looking good. Bunks are framed and the bathroom is framed. I'm installing my empire direct vent this weekend, and hopefully the gas lights and oven. Heck by next weekend ill be ready to fish. Should be done just in time to go wack on some honkers!

REMEMBER TO: "CROSS THEIR EYES"

hawkey, my heater is not a direct vent. It is a stikemaster free standing. I just used the 5" to go thru the wall.

bgmny, where can I get some mineral wool and fire caulking? That sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I did burn the heater after installing it and the exhaust pipe gets warm, but not hot where it goes thru the wall. So I think I'll be ok with the 5" nipple. Or should I just leave the space open?